Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 2009 Scion tc, started making some awful noises in the engine compartment....louder than usual. I was told not to drive it and check for any engine leaks....nothing significant enough to see any puddling, but an occasional sign of some oil around the area where you pour in oil...I took the valve cover off and the gasket seems to be in good shape. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My son also stated that "it started making the noise while driving and then the squeaking noise the more i drove it"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi all! I have a 2009 Scion tc, started making some awful noises in the engine compartment....louder than usual. I was told not to drive it and check for any engine leaks....nothing significant enough to see any puddling, but an occasional sign of some oil around the area where you pour in oil...I took the valve cover off and the gasket seems to be in good shape. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My son also stated that "it started making the noise while driving and then the squeaking noise the more i drove it"
Did you check to see if you have oil at the proper level? Does the sound increases as you step on the gas pedal? Does the squeaking changes when you turn on or off the air conditioner... squealing can be from a loose or worn belt to bearing going out to the alternator, the belt idler pulley, water pump (is there water leaking), or AC compressor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s def under the valve cover and is all metallic noise. Increases sound as reveling increases. No squeaking. No water leaks. All fluids are full to include motor oil. Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is the sound like a rattling (erratic but does increase with rpm) or is it more like a tapping and most importantly one tapping or multiple tapping? Does the car run smooth, does it shake during idle? I believe the lifters are hydraulic and runs by oil pressure... when was the last oil change and filter? A bad valve lifter can have excessive valve clearance that makes noise. Edited to clarify.... when you said valve cover, did you mean the engine dust cover? If the valve cover, you took off all the plug coils and spark plugs off, then took the cover off which revealed the overhead cam lobes and rocker arms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts