Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In approximately 33hrs Stephen and I will be departing for South Bend, IN… the start of the Tire Rack One Lap of America. Development on the suspension setup and alignment just finished minutes ago, but we aren’t without problems. Usually competitors wait until the first day of the event to start their woes, ours have just began.</p>

Monday night saw the installation of the mandatory fire extinguisher and our K-MAC camber plates. All went without a hitch, but something happened that seems to be an omen to continual problems. The radio shorted out. At first Stephen and I, along with some fellow One Lappers on NASIOC, joked about it and brushed it off (hey, we have iPods). I’m a little more anxious now, and that is because our A’pexi ELII gauges have stopped working. Our Oil Pressure, EGT, and Boost gauges stopped working. Since the radio doesn’t have power and the gauges get power from the radio, I’m praying it is just a fuse. I won’t know for certain until I get time to take a look at it after work today.</p>

On another note, we are getting ready for our final preparations. So for your sake, primarily ours so we don’t forget something, below is a list of things that still have to be done before we depart:</p>
  • Pack the tC with all of our stuff.
  • Fix the gauges and remove OEM radio.
  • Change oil, check coolant levels, examine brake fluid.
  • Install new brake pads.

The goal is to have all of this done by 9pm tomorrow night.</p>

Some people have started to ask how I feel leading up to the One Lap. I believe it is easy to sum it up in two words: anxious and energetic. I’ve never been on a trip like this, and it is really a trip of a lifetime. Regardless of this years results, I hope to be out there again next year facing an all new set of challenges. Now, if you asked my mother how she feels about me doing this… let’s just say hysterical is on the lenient side. That is all for now, I’ll post up when we depart for South Bend.</p>

View the full article

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
Good luck man! If I were nearby I would help out for sure, and if you are having issues at all when you pass through WI, let me know and I will do what I can to help! Shoot me a reminder email before you leave and I will send my number in case you need it.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
If you have all that hooked up to 1 circuit, you need a stronger fuse.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (krdshrk @ Apr 30 2008, 02:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=394582
If you have all that hooked up to 1 circuit, you need a stronger fuse.[/b]
It's survived for nearly 2yrs, the issue seems to be with the XM tuner as it is shorting whenever the radio and XM tuner are connected. I'll be doing some testing later on tonight to see if it is the tuner itself or the wiring harness from the radio to the tuner.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Let me know if there's anything you need along the way. You've got my numbers. Best of luck, and I seriously hope your electrical problem is the biggest issue you face in the next week.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Apr 30 2008, 10:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=394709
Let me know if there's anything you need along the way. You've got my numbers. Best of luck, and I seriously hope your electrical problem is the biggest issue you face in the next week.[/b]
Same here, and as easy to diagnose and fix as well.

Turns out the wiring of the XM had slowly been grinding away against a portion of the frame rail on the passenger seat. A small mistake on my part and the other installer as well... it was causing a short since half the wires had a nice little 3/8" length of insulation sliced off just exposing wire. Good thing there was no fire from the result.

I unplugged the XM harness from the radio and satellite tuner, replaced the Accessory fuse, and all is well now. Thank god I have some radio now
I'll be calling Ken at TRD Sparks tomorrow to get a fit kit sent to the dealership at South Bend for me to pick up and all should be well if the tuner didn't fry.

Would be great to have some XM goodness. Just in case I got the iPod as backup, not to mention the laptop + blackberry combo.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Corrugated tubing. That's why we use it on wire runs. It prevents chafing...

FWIW, I have contacts who know Jeff Watson at Champion personally. Jeff's a great guy too. Seriously, if you need anything at all, I've got your back.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Apr 30 2008, 11:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=394715
Corrugated tubing. That's why we use it on wire runs. It prevents chafing...

FWIW, I have contacts who know Jeff Watson at Champion personally. Jeff's a great guy too. Seriously, if you need anything at all, I've got your back.[/b]
That'll be good to know... I don't know how dedicated the service manager is at Champion (or if he even remembers).

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Well there's your problem! Nice find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.