Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, I am a new member. I have been perusing the forum looking for ways to add a reasonable amount of power without worrying about dropping thousands on internal upgrades or a new engine after I blow one up. I just got my 2006 Scion tC manual and it has about 170,000 miles on it I bought it after it sat for a bit with a few problems for about $2800 so far with the fixing up I have to do I am just over $3000 into the project and I am ready to start looking into how to increase power at the wheels. My goal at this point in time would be to reliably hit 200+ whp before the end of the year. I looked into if I could hit that by just increasing the flow of air but it seems that the easiest and most cost-effective way (Outside of N2O) is to look at some forced injection. So my main question is should I look at turbos or superchargers for reliable power and does anyone have some good suggestions of where to shop? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
4 Posts
I had the same question and everyone said "Go Turbo". The reason is that it is easier to get very high HP from turbo. I still followed the supercharger question just to learn why. Here is the answer. The supercharger from TRD was a conservative design meant to maintain the warranty: it was set to boost 6 pounds and not exceed that, giving about 50 Hp more. The Vortech SC itself is good for 20 pound boost at 65,000 rpm. In order to have warranty, it had to be installed by a dealer. TRD did not train Toyota technicians on the install, in particular for the fiddly alignment of the jack-shaft, so a few owners had failures from bad install. The shaft runs over the exhaust and although a modified heat shield was provided (with a dent to accommodate the shaft) there was no extra provision for cooling, such as exhaust wrap, or an airflow mod to direct cool air to the shaft. The shaft bearings are SKF explorer 6205 and are not particularly heat resistant: these should have been higher spec for heat and speed. To prevent people using smaller pulleys for higher boost, TRD put a security nut on the pulley, which also made it difficult to swap out the bearings when they wore out. People who did not change bearings soon enough experienced shaft failure that sometimes cascaded to SC failure. The shaft is three component; two solid ends with a hollow linker. The shaft was not balanced to exceed the speed required for 6 pound boost, so some of those that modified to higher boost experienced shaft failure and failure of the Woodruff key in the pulley and in the coupler between shaft and SC. Two enthusiasts made superior shafts, Woodruff keys and bearings, which were solid, hardened and finely balanced. These are known as "Gompka shafts" but few were made. If you can find one, grab it. Gompka mods included better bearings and seals. These shafts permit reliable use above the 6 pounds boost. Despite these issues there are many still running the original supercharger without problems, probably because it was properly installed, the car was not used in racing, the boost was never red lined and maybe other conservative things. Useful websites are as follows

· Registered
18 Posts
Wow! that is so detailed and to think that I didn't see this wonderful reply and already am installing a turbo kit on my car now. Thanks for the replies anyway though. (This is an alt account of SPARTN11 BTW)

· Registered
4 Posts
You didnt miss it, I posted it today, thanks. You asked your question in august. Turbo is the most sensible thing to do. Turbo has no parasitic drain as in SC, but lags a bit depending on the size. Post your install when done.

· Registered
18 Posts
You didnt miss it, I posted it today, thanks. You asked your question in august. Turbo is the most sensible thing to do. Turbo has no parasitic drain as in SC, but lags a bit depending on the size. Post your install when done.
Me and a buddy are installing it right now, just waiting on a few parts. You can watch the whole process on his youtube channel @Inspire Inc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts