Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From MSNBC.com
WASHINGTON - Honda Motor Co. recalled about 25,000 Civics on Thursday because the accelerator pedal was improperly installed on some 2006 models, which could cause a crash.

If the pedal is improperly installed, it could come loose, cause the throttle to stick and raise the potential for a crash. Honda spokesman Sage Marie said there have been no crashes or injuries linked to the issue in the popular-selling vehicle.

The "vast majority" of the 25,298 vehicles under recall in the United States have not yet been sold, Marie said. A dealer inspecting the vehicles discovered the problem in late September and reported it to the automaker, leading to an internal investigation, he said.

Honda redesigned the sedan for the 2006 model year and it continues to post strong sales figures. The Japanese automaker sold 23,911 Civics in October, up 14 percent from last October, according to Autodata Corp.

The company sold 257,749 Civics in the first nine months of this year, down 1.2 percent from 262,958 sold last year. Honda did not immediately have a breakdown of how many 2006 models have been sold thus far.

The redesign includes a new floor-mounted gas assembly that involves the accelerator. The sedans under recall were manufactured from early June through early October, and countermeasures have been put in place on the assembly line to fix the problem, Marie said.

Owners were being notified of the recall this month and told to bring their cars to a dealership. Dealers will either reset the pedal or replace the assembly at no cost to consumers.[/b]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9991618/

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there were obviously problems... that's why they recalled it!

Haven't you seen "Fight Club"?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
According to the article posted above, it was discovered during a dealer inspection. So hopefully that means that nobody found out about it the hard way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by krdshrk@Nov 13 2005, 09:04 AM
Well, there were obviously problems... that's why they recalled it!

Haven't you seen "Fight Club"?
i love that movie!!

hear it is!

A new car built by my company leave somewhere traveling at 60 miles per hour. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field (A) multiply it by the probable rate of failure (B) then multiply the result by the average out of court settlement ©. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of the recall, we don't do one.[/b]
nice

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
That's the Ford Pinto strategy. It's not a movie, it was real life.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
no one was hurt, it was done as a preemptive measure on cars that werent sold. good car manufacturers dont wait till people complain, or crash and die before they do a recall

·
Registered
427 Posts
Originally posted by krdshrk@Nov 13 2005, 08:46 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9991618/

It's easy to point fingers at others and laugh... Until they find something wrong with our tC's.

It's unfortunate that it happened to any car. Could have been ours just as easily.

Lets just hope nobody gets hurt.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
is it easy to laugh when a company actually has the BALLS to do a recall rather than ignore hundreds upon hundreds of complaints, or even wrongful death lawsuits?? isnt that why you bought a toyota or honda so that you get these sort of good business practices(there is that minor issue of engine sludge as well)?? thats why i put my money in those two

·
Registered
173 Posts
Originally posted by Ericgladden55@Nov 13 2005, 09:18 PM
is it easy to laugh when a company actually has the BALLS to do a recall rather than ignore hundreds upon hundreds of complaints, or even wrongful death lawsuits?? isnt that why you bought a toyota or honda so that you get these sort of good business practices(there is that minor issue of engine sludge as well)?? thats why i put my money in those two
I 100% agree with and the other person that mention about them not waiting for major accidents to happen.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I apply the formula: A+B+C=X. If X is less than the cost of the recall, we dont do one.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I was wondering when someone was going to say this. I didn't find it particularly humorous either.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aww.... you take all the fun out of saying "stupid hondas"

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well put. Not that they are all bad, but there's always that group of people that ruin the image for the rest.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I keep seeing crappy accords racing other riced out idiots on the most cop infested street in my town.... idiots.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
And they are the extreme minority of Honda owners.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
very true lance! prejudice and profiling are things no one should enjoy being a part of. by the looks of some of the cars in our very own gallery we live in a house with quite a bit of glass. so im sure we should drop our stones where we stand (booker t washington referrence)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with several posts here. I never saw what's so funny about recalls.

So honda had a recall....it's not perfect. Toyota has its share of recalls...it's not perfect.

This applies to all forums I know; whenever there's a recall, particularly a domestic recall, import owners would post them up and then make a stereotypical comment on "domestic pos" or whatnot, and it just bothers me how we turn automotive news into new fuel for bashing other cars. It's as if recalls are a bad thing. What's bad is when they DON'T issue a recall when it is needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.