Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am new to the Scion forum, I need help, I have had my tc for a a year now but I want to say about 3/4weeks ago I was coming home and putting my car in reverse to park and my car just turned off. I have never had this issue before and I thought it was odd, I have been going through this forum to try and find and answer but no luck. After this happened my car would start cranking but wouldn’t start especially around mid day when the weather was hot outside and the next week or so I noticed that I was able to drive the car only after leaving it overnight and starting it first thing in the morning when it was cold outside but once it hit mid day warm weather it would crank but not start. I have put a new battery in, works fine, fuses and relay are working, spark is working, but when the car is cranking they’re is no power in the fuel pump could this be an electrical sort??? I have the code po301, po453 and po 420 anything will help

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,066 Posts
P0453 is an evap code and P0420 is related to the catalytic converter not operating properly. That latter one could be the secondary O2 sensor is defective (or missing if you are running an aftermarket cat) or the cat is actually bad. But, these first two codes should not indicate anything that would keep the car from running.

The P0301 code indicates a misfire in cylinder 1.

You mention you have tested for spark. How did you test?

Are you able to hear the fuel pump prime for a couple of seconds when you turn on the key? If you listen very closely you should be able to hear that. If not, check that that fuel pump relay is indeed closing and that there is then voltage to the terminal feeding the pump itself as a first check there.

If it ran fine, then suddenly died and will not fire up when cranking, it sounds like the fuel pump has stopped working or there is an ignition issue, but you mentioned you are getting good spark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for responding! Would the po301 be a reason why the car is turning off?, I’ve been checking the fuel pump noise and it sounds weak, is there any other way to double check that the fuel pump is the issue and it would need to be replaced? Could there be a short in the fuel pump wire? If it weren’t the fuel pump what would u suggest to check next? Sorry for the many questions but I’m not entirely ready to part ways with my Scion just yet lol

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,066 Posts
Hi thanks for responding! Would the po301 be a reason why the car is turning off?, I’ve been checking the fuel pump noise and it sounds weak, is there any other way to double check that the fuel pump is the issue and it would need to be replaced? Could there be a short in the fuel pump wire? If it weren’t the fuel pump what would u suggest to check next? Sorry for the many questions but I’m not entirely ready to part ways with my Scion just yet lol
If it started having poor fuel delivery or spark before it died that could have caused the misfire code.

Probably should have the fuel pressure checked if the pump is questionable. A gauge will be required and will need to be connected to the proper spot on the fuel rail. There should be a port to connect one to.

How did you check for spark? The tC is a coil on plug setup so it is more typical that one coil pack would go bad and not all at once so it likely would at least try to start, but just checking on how you tested this.

Does it crank normally? Anything sound off when it is cranking? Does it try to fire at all or just crank?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts