Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what you guys think about the brand new mustang. i really like the way it looks, but i think that is all it has, looks. it is probably still built like crap. it's a ford afterall.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by SilverX@Nov 5 2004, 07:33 PM
...yea and a Hyundai is just a Hyundai...
exactly

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have a friend who's planning on getting one of the new ones. I'll let you know how it is. Of course there's no telling when he's going to actually *get* it....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i haven't seen any on the road yet but i think they are out for sale. i saw a newspaper ad for a ford dealer saying that you could buy it. maybe it's like preorder though.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
they sell within an hour of them getting them. already went and checked them out, awesome car especially for the money. way better build quality then previous models. being an owner of previous models (66 convertible gt, and 65 coupe) i love to see a car company not go retro but take styling cues. im probably being assumptious by saying that not many on here will like these because theyre probably from a different breed or generation then i but its cool. i have a heart for old school muscle and classics and an eye for imports too so im kinda stuck in the middle.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm the same way. i love the the old muscle cars from the 1960s and 1970s, but i love the new cars too.

·
Registered
409 Posts
the styling is alright, reminds me a lot of the GT, but you cant go wrong with like the 400hp hahaha,,,that and its rwd if i remember correctly, but then again thats what american cars are known for, pushing as much hp out of their engine sacrificing build quality

·
Registered
427 Posts
[Rant Warning]
Being the owner of a '67 Fastback Mustang GTA , I'm actually insulted that they even call that hideous thing a mustang based loosely on the '67 fastback. It looks nothing like the '67, it looks like a failed attempt to bring something to market too fast. They really needed to work a bit more on it and wait until 2007 (40th anniversary, etc) to bring out that model. Or better yet, just re-release the original body style with updated guts.

They stopped making mustangs in about '71/'72, the rest are all updated pintos.
[/Rant Warning]

thats my 2 cents

...and yes, well over 400hp

·
Registered
228 Posts
i actually saw the car on the road today in the early morning (it was still twilight.. so couldn't see it very well). it looked pretty massive though. i kinda expected it to be the size of the previous models... in reality it is more the size of the old muscle cars.

also, i must agree with krzy, i do think they shoulda waited and worked some more on the car. now it looks like soaped down old body. at least in the twilight. hheh.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2007 will be the 43rd anniversary.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Kwiksilver

2007-1967=43?

how come?

edit:
posted this, then read your post again, read your sig and it totally cracked me up in context of what i was saying...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by water@Nov 8 2004, 06:13 PM
Kwiksilver

2007-1967=43?

how come?

edit:
posted this, then read your post again, read your sig and it totally cracked me up in context of what i was saying...
no, no.
water, krzy's mustang is a 1967. the mustang's first model year was 1964. late 1964 to the point that they are sometimes called 1964.5 models.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well Mitsubishi has that Evo that kicks 405 bhp from a 2-litre four-pot...
Thats pushing it... but I'm sure the quality is still fine...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how do they do that? turbo?

·
Registered
228 Posts
kwiksilver

ahhaah. and they pretty much kept the same body for first three-four years?
way cool...

even tho i don't know that much about old american muscle cars, they're way cool. a friend of mine (back in estonia (that's close to finland, hoho)) is restoring a camaro from the 70ies... putting tons of cash into it... plan is to sell it l8r in finland for more cash, come here (to us) to pick up a new project, fix that up, sell it etc... he was a fan of need for speed motor city, so now tryin' to bring it into real life as much as possible...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Originally posted by water@Nov 8 2004, 08:29 PM
kwiksilver
even tho i don't know that much about old american muscle cars, they're way cool. a friend of mine (back in estonia (that's close to finland, hoho)) is restoring a camaro from the 70ies... putting tons of cash into it... plan is to sell it l8r in finland for more cash, come here (to us) to pick up a new project, fix that up, sell it etc... he was a fan of need for speed motor city, so now tryin' to bring it into real life as much as possible...
My mustang (we call it 'Dee Dee') has 53k original miles. It normally sits in the garage under a car cover. It really is a special car, very few mustangs were branded with the 'GTA' emblem and the GTA only existed in 1967. I know cars have come a long way, and yes, the old engines tend to be far less efficient than the ones we're seeing today. However, the history and nostalgia surrounding the cars is about a lot more than technology and gas mileage. They represent a simpler time in our history. They're the cars that many of our older siblings or parents had growing up.

I don't often drive my mustang, mainly because its downright scary! 4-wheel drum brakes don't do a very good job when you've got a 428 cubic inch engine wanting to push you into the nearest tree. This particular car has the prototype engine used in the '68 Mach 1 CJ (Cobra Jet).

Sure, it hates starting, its hot as hell inside when driving because the firewall is too thin, you can't even hear yourself think while driving down the road, and the suspension required to keep the tires from shredding themselves makes it feel like you're riding on a concrete sled. Even with all that, I still love the car and I plan to keep it for many many years.

It's just something special knowing that I have to push the car out of the garage and into the driveway before I drive it because starting it in the garage knocks pictures off the wall inside the house

I sincerely hope automakers can come up with more 'classic' cars over time. It's one of the last possessions people have that they still appreciate over time.

krzy

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
"don't often drive my mustang, mainly because its downright scary! 4-wheel drum brakes don't do a very good job when you've got a 428 cubic inch engine wanting to push you into the nearest tree."

haha i can totally relate, those damn drum brakes cost me my 65 coupe and it didnt have the 428 pushin it, jus the damn 289!! i understand ur frustration, you have quite the special car and anyone comparing something from todays mass produced standards is a little bit off. you should check the new one out though. ive always been skeptical of ford given some of their past issues, but i really could sense the difference in this car when i sat in it and felt the panelling, the textures etc. gave off a better vibe then my old 2000 did. by the way that new stang felt nowhere near as big as that old bus not because its lighter but jus because of the drivers position and the rake of the windshield felt more in touch with the outside.

that is one beautiful car u got there!!
the gta stood for the special gt-autos right? got the shelby 427?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I think the new 'Stang has an intriguing blend of retro styling and new ideas. It's a pretty nice looking car.

But like someone else said, still a Ford.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts