Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just bought a Alpine MRD-500 which puts out 250Wx1 at 4ohms, 500Wx1 at 2 ohms.

I am looking to buy one 10" Alpine woofer maybe the type-s, type-r or the type-x.
I am not sure weather or not to get a 2ohm or 4 ohm speaker. With this amp what do you guys recomend? The speaker will be in a sealed cusom box made of carbon fiber, Ill probably try to get it between .6 and .8 cubic feet.

Also what is a good way to get the volume of a wierd shaped box? I was thinking about taking the mold and submerging it in the bathtub to see how much water it displaces. Maybe using a crayon and marking the side of the tub after each gallon of water I put in it. I think I will need aproximately 5.5 gallons of water to be displaced to equal about .75 cubic feet.

thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Get a dual 4 ohm sub and wire it in parallel for a resulting 2 ohm load. For most amps, wiring for the least possible impedence will give u the most power. Technically you get a clearer signal though at 4 ohms vs 1 or 2 but I don't think anyone could notice, especially with a subwoofer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you explain what you mean when you say to wire it in parallel. Does that mean I will be connecting both voice coils of the dual woofer?
thanks

adam

EDITED:

Ok i went and did some research and found this link:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learning...mpedance=DVC4x2

millat1m3,
Is "Option 1" what you were refering to when you said to wire them in parallel?

·
Registered
37 Posts
he is referring to option #1.

In my case im going to buy the mono amp by alpine MRD-M605 outputs [email protected] 2 ohms. i'm going to match it with alpine swr 1242D 4ohm dual voice coil and going to do it in parallel wiring aswell. i hope the amp will feed the sub with enough power.

regarding the 2 ohm vs 4 ohm sound.
Based on my own knowledge, the lower the impedance (referring to low impedance #) the less you have control on your woofer.

i forgot what is it called, i think it's got something to do with the push and pull control of the woofer. the higher the impedance the more you are gonna have tight bass.

i dont know if im right<< i think im thinking of damping factor. well somebody will correct me heh

·
Registered
730 Posts
Both the MRD-M500 and the MRD-M605 are kmono-block class D amps thet were designed specifically to run a 2 Ohm load. Neither of you will have a problem running your setup at 2 Ohm. Damping factor is still plenty high on these amps at 2 Ohm so don't worry, just do it.

BTW - the 605 put out 600 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohm and 400 Watts RMS at 4 Ohm. I'm running a 605 to a SWR-1042D in parallel (2 Ohm) right now and it's a perfect match.

Oh, and Adam, run the Type-R for yours. Too much power for the Type-S and not enough for the Type-X.

·
Registered
542 Posts
for a 12" type r sub, would i be looking for 500 watts rms or a little over that?
also, would one 12" type r be louder than two rockfords running 150 rms each. (i do know the alpine is 500 rms, but would 1 be louder than 2 weaker ones?) thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
i would go with the alpine sub. especially if it is a type-r. they sound so clean!

·
Registered
542 Posts
well yeah, but before i spend $600+ on a system, i want to know if it outperforms the one i've got now. its got more power, but less surface area on the sub itself, will it still be the same performance level?

·
Registered
542 Posts
plus having more trunk space.
i've heard the 12" has plenty of boom, but is it fairly accurate also?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have just one 12" Kicker CVR in my TC with a Kicker two channel running at 4 ohms @ 450W RMS and it hits clean, accurate, and still leaves me tons of trunk space

·
Registered
542 Posts
anybody know what the peak power rating is on the mrd-m605 amp? i think i read somewhere that its 900 watts, but that seems low considering its got 400-600 rms

·
Registered
542 Posts
i know, i just thought it was weird that the max power rating wasn't really mentioned on crutchfield.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.