Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday, 03 March 2005
Well here we go for all those who were just dying to have a dyno on the exhaust for the Scion tC... Alexis and I made it out in 4-6 inches of snow to get it done a few days ago.
Baseline Stock tC was 126hp and 142 ft/lbs
Stock tC with Intake by WR was 132hp and 143 ft/lbs
Stock tC with Intake and Exhaust Kit was 144hp and 152 ft/lbs

this was from tctunerz.com. whats the deal with manufactures telling us its 160 hp? don't you guys think its really dissapointing that the tc only produces 126-130 hp at the wheels? does anyone else have a problem with a manufacture telling you its 160 hp? or do we choose to be blinded by marketing and accept less for more? since January i have been saving $4000 for a down payment for my TC. sure its affordable. but for another $5000 on top of its msrp i can buy an SRT-4 and eat WRX's. my faith has changed. 3 weeks ago i had nothing but TC brochures mounted on my walls and pictures from car shows as well. today, they are in kid brothers room and he uses them as coasters.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Hmm why do you believe a 126hp dyno and not 146hp dyno? There are dyno sheets floating around forums showing stuff from 115hp to 150hp. Mostly because dyno owners are too lazy to take care of their equipment and don't want to learn how to operate it properly. Or people who get their cars dyno'd just too cheap and do one run while they should be averaging 5-6 runs... I tend to believe we are getting close to 140whp - about 15% drivetrain loss - which is nothing unusual.

I might spend some $$$ on dynos before and after the SC install and I will make sure that there are enough consistent pulls to make a good conclusion, and that the results are SAE corrected for all the environmental stuff, but I might say screw it and save $140. After all - as long as I like how my car feels - I'm happy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i couldn't agree more. there are too many tcs in my neighborhood as it is. i live next to down the street from 1-black, 1-azure, 1-silver who works near me and 1-red one who parades his gf around me all day. anyhow, i still like the Tc don't get me wrong, but im actualy buying an SRT-4. sure its a dodge! but my family has always ownd a chevy or chrysler and we have great cars, so the dependability is there for us and so is reliability. for another $5000 i can get something fun to drive. i test drove both the Tc and the srt-4 and theres a major difference in pick up. naturally i went with the neon, but i love seeing the Tc.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, if all you want is pick up, the srt-4 has some. too bad the rest of it feels like its made from recycled lunch boxes. enjoy it, it certainly gets up and moves.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It still makes no sense to me if your concern is speed. Why buy any new POS car between $20k and $30k when you could buy a good used Supra (or DSM, or Evo, or...) and suck the headlights out of any of those cars? OH, wait, you can't FINANCE the Supra easily because it's too old for most lenders. You're worried about insurance rates. You really just can't afford to go fast. So you buy something between $20k and $30k that's basically slow but faster than some and call it a win?

Enjoy the fine craftsmanship of your domestic. I'll wave as I blow past in my Supra.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Already did that for eight years. Cold and wet in the winter, only really fun in the summer. It is more fun than anything for getting away from a light quickly. It's hard to find a car that even resembles a challenge.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Honestly, get your SRT-4, if the only reason your picking a car is for its "speed" then i guess thats the one, but come back here in four years and tell us how much you have spent in repairs. Then we can compare the cars!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have seen several srt-4's around. They are the damn quickest lil cars i've ever seen, don't get me wrong, but...

THEY ARE STILL DODGE FREAKING NEONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF Dodge Neons were total pieces of #### when they were only n/a, how well is that engine gonna hold up under that kinda boost? There was a kid with an srt-4 delivering pizzas at my store a few months ago. He was giving me ish about my accord being a slug (which it is), and then I told the kid, "Ok stupid, let's do the math. Your car is fast. However, you paid 21000, really about 30+ with interest, for a POS 2004 dodge neon on steroids who's engine will die long before my banged up ol' 92 accord I paid 3500 cash for even needs its next oil change. Who really wins here?"

Month and a half later his engine threw a rod when he redlined and he couldn't afford to fix it.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by ND120883@Mar 5 2005, 09:55 PM
I have seen several srt-4's around. They are the damn quickest lil cars i've ever seen, don't get me wrong, but...

THEY ARE STILL DODGE FREAKING NEONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF Dodge Neons were total pieces of #### when they were only n/a, how well is that engine gonna hold up under that kinda boost? There was a kid with an srt-4 delivering pizzas at my store a few months ago. He was giving me ish about my accord being a slug (which it is), and then I told the kid, "Ok stupid, let's do the math. Your car is fast. However, you paid 21000, really about 30+ with interest, for a POS 2004 dodge neon on steroids who's engine will die long before my banged up ol' 92 accord I paid 3500 cash for even needs its next oil change. Who really wins here?"

Month and a half later his engine threw a rod when he redlined and he couldn't afford to fix it.

Nuff said.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98857

i'm guessing a lot of internals have changed. supposedly the srt-4's actually have a very strong engine and can take boost, so...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not to mention the resale value of the TC (Assumation since its a Toyota) , Civics, Accord, etc. Significantly are better then that of a Neon a few years down the road. But who am i to complain go buy something else i could care less!!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
^^^^^
i was wondering the same thing

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.