Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was looking for a 1/4 Mile time calcutor and this is the best one I found and the most accurate. Basically what it is saying that I was running 170hp on the track last thurs. night which is about right because I added an intake to it so it added about 10hp, it is also saying if the tC is stock at 160hp youll be running a 16.37... which i believe is right because if you were to run 15.7 that would mean you need 180hp which again sounds right because there is no way in hell you can get 15.7 at a stock 160hp unless you gut the whole inside of the tC. I also calculated that the car has to be at 2700pounds at 160hp to be at 15.7 which the tC comes at 2905 + your weight which im about 132 which would come out to be 3037!

Link > http://www.rx7.org/Robinette/et.htm

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
One problem with that -- one of the first published test drives of the tC reported a 1/4 mile of 15.7 seconds, and many others have reported times around or even below that, stock.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
90% of quarter mile calculators are way off, as it doesn't take into account a _LOT_ of factors. I do believe that this assumes the classical definition of one atmosphere... which is at sea level, 68 degrees F, etc etc. It also assumes that the gearing is constant, doesn't take into account shift time, drivetrain loss, etc... there are a _LOT_ of factors that come into play that this calculator simply doesn't demonstrate.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by 06TCDriv3r@Jan 15 2006, 08:49 PM
thats wierd i guess if you "know" and are an "expert" with a manual car then you can do it, but another big factor is temp. and height you are above sea level.
Generally speaking, the higher you are and/or the hotter the ambient temperature is the slower your car will run in a 1/4.

*EDIT* Ideally, you'd be able to plug in a dyno plot in the closest 1:1 gear ratio as well as including gearing, atmospheric pressure, height according to sea level, barometric pressure, and the list goes on and on. In order to calculate it even remotely close, these things would have to know a lot more information.

These things are also accurate within 10%, which seems small but when you are dealing with small numbers to begin with can account for a *HUGE* difference.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
which is about right because I added an intake to it so it added about 10hp[/b]
No.

How many times have we been over this?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Ray Hall's calculator is a lot closer to real world - good conditions with a good driver. The RX-7 site is way off the normal times for a tC.

Stock tC weight is 2915 without side airbags. If you weigh 132, and you are manual s/o SAB, then your weight will be somewhere around 3047 depending on fuel load. If your tank was full, it was probably quite a bit more. Typical curb weights published by Toyco are with only 3 or 4 gallons of gas. 10 gallons of gas is somewhere between 60 and 70 lbs depending on temperature and brand of fuel.

Using Ray's calculator, you were making about 145.7 hp, and considering your 60' times, that sounds about right. You need to improve your driving, you are not getting the most out of your machine. You should be able to run 15.54 under ideal conditions. This doesn't mean every time you go to the track, but you should be +/- 5% of that number, and 16.xx isn't in the ballpark (unless you are on Guam with both heat and humidity conspiring against you).

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Umm, that's Ray Hall's site...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 16 2006, 01:56 PM
Ray Hall's calculator is a lot closer to real world - good conditions with a good driver. The RX-7 site is way off the normal times for a tC.

Stock tC weight is 2915 without side airbags. If you weigh 132, and you are manual s/o SAB, then your weight will be somewhere around 3047 depending on fuel load. If your tank was full, it was probably quite a bit more. Typical curb weights published by Toyco are with only 3 or 4 gallons of gas. 10 gallons of gas is somewhere between 60 and 70 lbs depending on temperature and brand of fuel.

Using Ray's calculator, you were making about 145.7 hp, and considering your 60' times, that sounds about right. You need to improve your driving, you are not getting the most out of your machine. You should be able to run 15.54 under ideal conditions. This doesn't mean every time you go to the track, but you should be +/- 5% of that number, and 16.xx isn't in the ballpark (unless you are on Guam with both heat and humidity conspiring against you).
Well how about Florida where its like 100% humidity and 72 degrees?? I think its time to invest in a shift light to tell me when to shift!

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by 06TCDriv3r+Jan 17 2006, 08:03 AM-->QUOTE (06TCDriv3r @ Jan 17 2006, 08:03 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-lo bux racer
@Jan 16 2006, 01:56 PM
Ray Hall's calculator is a lot closer to real world - good conditions with a good driver.  The RX-7 site is way off the normal times for a tC.

Stock tC weight is 2915 without side airbags.  If you weigh 132, and you are manual s/o SAB, then your weight will be somewhere around 3047 depending on fuel load.  If your tank was full, it was probably quite a bit more.  Typical curb weights published by Toyco are with only 3 or 4 gallons of gas.  10 gallons of gas is somewhere between 60 and 70 lbs depending on temperature and brand of fuel.

Using Ray's calculator, you were making about 145.7 hp, and considering your 60' times, that sounds about right.  You need to improve your driving, you are not getting the most out of your machine.  You should be able to run 15.54 under ideal conditions.  This doesn't mean every time you go to the track, but you should be +/- 5% of that number, and 16.xx isn't in the ballpark (unless you are on Guam with both heat and humidity conspiring against you).
Well how about Florida where its like 100% humidity and 72 degrees?? I think its time to invest in a shift light to tell me when to shift! [/b]
Not really... for our gearing and power it makes sense to shift at redline (except for the 4th to 5th shift which we will never hit unless we are laying down some serious power). The key is to do it without hitting the rev limiter.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
6250, and you should shift _RIGHT_ before redline if not exactly at redline. Just make sure you don't bounce off the revlimit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.