Catalytic Converter Clogged, No Check Engine Light... - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Catalytic Converter Clogged, No Check Engine Light...

So, this is my GF's car.

Bought in December, cat failed (it clogged up according to shop who sold her the car), they replaced for labor cost only but with a aftermarket non-OEM cat.

30 days later the cat fails again, same symptoms and same problem. The car starts real hard, runs real rough, sputters and has very little power. The shop replaces again, but charges her labor again.

45 days after that, cat fails again. Exact same symptoms...The same shop blames poorly made after market cheaper cats (cheaper than the dealer ones), but also say they don't have many problems with them. Just on this car. They don't think anything else is causing the failure. There is no check engine light at all during all of this. It uses about 1/2 bottle of oil / month but no leaks visible on the ground in the driveway and no smoke at start up.

HELP. Is there any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What year is the car and how many miles? Sounds like the car is burning oil, which is a known issue with the 2007-2008 model years. The oil burning does not produce much smoke, because the cat is burning it up, thus clogging the cat. Toyota was making good on this and replacing the pistons and rings on cars determined to have the problem. I bought my 2007 TC back in October with 165K on it. I was able to determine that the engine had new pistons etc installed by a Toyota dealer at 130K You can check maintenance records by registering on the Toyota owners website

Last edited by jjsinaz; 03-29-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page