Replacement Keys - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Replacement Keys

Hi everyone. I've read the posts about replacements keys and still have a question.

I have a 2010 Tc and lost one of the master keys. I called the dealer about a replacement and they said it would cost about $200 for the key and $100 for the programming. I finally decided to bite the bullet and when I went to the dealer to order the key, the cost was $229 for the key and $179 for the programming. That would be more than $430 including tax.

I searched on-line where I can purchase a blank for about $140, then I need to get it cut and programmed. Some say an Auto Locksmith can cut and program the key, however I have my doubts. Has anyone tried this, or has everybody just went to the Dealer?

I'm located in South Florida.

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

if you would have "read the posts", you would see that it is not the case. Anyone can cut the key, but only dealer can program it.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP George James aka Suprman 9/20/2011
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Ignorance-intolerant

I've wondered about locksmiths that say they can "program keys" as well. I've never heard of anyone using one so I have no clue.

I remember my last car had chipped keys too, and you could actually program a new chip yourself if you had two pre-existing chipped keys. It was some sequence of inserting keys, turning them x times, and removing them and inserting the new key, blah blah. But I've always wondered if that could be done with the tC.

<<Click for old tC Pic Thread

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Yes I did see that in the posts. But after reading elsewhere that Auto Locksmiths can program it, I decided to double check. Things chage and some of the other posts on replacement keys were old.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Ignorance-intolerant

Why not walk into the locksmith and ask?

<<Click for old tC Pic Thread
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Well I've read that certain Auto Locksmiths can program the chip, haven't found any in this area yet. There are a few more on my list to call.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 03:54 AM
LED Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SquallLHeart

there are a few locksmiths that have the equipment to actually program the car.. however not many do as it's a big investment to get the equipment needed to do so.. you'd have to call and ask around.

they exist... but it's usually just easier to have the dealership do it as at least you know they have the techstream equipment... or at least they should anyway.

your "friendly" ystc OG

There's "STRONG", and then there's "RETARD STRONG".
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO View Post
Well I've read that certain Auto Locksmiths can program the chip, haven't found any in this area yet. There are a few more on my list to call.
I hope you have got the locksmith for to program the chip. But let me tell you one thing, Whenever you are going to have the new car key or program a key , dealer is the one who can give you the original one. I know it will cost you more but it will provide the key with warranty of some time period , in future if some problem occurs dealer can replace that key with the new one and doesn't charge you for that.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:09 AM

Yes i have hired locksmith columbus for programming the chip, Thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page