Next Generation tC - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I work for the Toyota Technical Center. I will be evaluating certain aspects of the next generation tC and would like some input from tC owners. A tC is not my daily driver so I would like to reflect what some tC owners and tuners feel in my responses. I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS, HOW IT LOOKS OR HOW IT DRIVES! You will just have to trust in me that I will convey your general response. The specifics of the evaluation have been made known to me but I am not clear on what I can divulge. Basically I want your feedback on driver ergonomics. "I do carpool with a tC owner sometimes to work and I dislike the circle part of the door handle as it digs into my leg under high g forces." "When I'm in the perfect position for the steering wheel, the pedals feel a little too close." That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

A little about me so you don't get dissapointed that I've been selected:
-Current SCCA member Arizona Region, 2004 Salina region Solo II STS Champion
-Current NASA member Arizona Region, HPDE level 2
-Pit crew for Wheels America Racing 2007 25 Hours of Thunderhill Endurance Race
-Pit crew for Arizona Region SCCA spec Miata entry
-Pit crew for DMC Racing Bomber division oval dirt track
-Just getting started in shifter kart racing
-Daily grind involves absorber, spring, swaybar tuning and dynamic evaluation
-Have turbo'd an 07' tC, helped build a 500+ whp STI, built a couple 240's, tuned an E-manage Ultimate equipped tC

I will post this on the three tC forums I find with the highest member count. So if you know people on other forums tell them to register on one of the big ones. I will be checking this daily.

This is your opportunity to have an impact on the next tC!!!

Thanks guys,

Kelly Banks
Toyota Technical Center Arizona
Technician Vehicle Performance Development
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Some things that I'd like to see as far as making it more friendly for AutoX and/or weekend road racing:
1) Fuel cutoff under high-G right hand turns. While Toyota Motorsports fixed this in the Pro/Celeb tC's and were kind enough to provide me the info on obtaining the part, it'd be nice if this was TRULY fixed or an actual part was available directly through TRD. For those that don't know, it's simply a fuel collector

2) Oil windage tray... this thing would flat-out improve engine life for any autocrosser, weekend road warrior, or daily driver. Again, perfect time for TRD to step up.

3) As undesired stated, having a more linear clutch pedal without as much play.

As far as daily driving:
1) The braces on the side that your friend already stated where the knees rub up against. Not only is this annoying for tracks, extended driving can also be a PITA. It's more of an annoyance than anything.

2) Swap the damn RPM and speed gauge at least on manual transmission cars. It's so annoying that it's more difficult to see the RPMs than the speed. Simply doing something like the RX-8 where the speed is a digital display inlaid into the tach would be perfect.

As far as product development:
On the newer Scion's, Toyota's, and Lexus' there are CAN networks. Opening up the protocol to owners and or developers for CERTAIN aspects would be nice. Sure any decent engineer will crack it pretty quickly, but having some documentation would be nice. This would be good for controlling windows, the radio, generic vehicle information, etc on a carputer and the like. I could think of hundreds of applications that would be perfect for the tC (unfortunately I have an '05, and there isn't an all encompassing CAN network).

And for the love of god, stop making the Release Series tC's getting even more bland colors as time goes on.

Official 2008 One Lap of America Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Herbert
A man is a fool not to put everything he has, at any given moment, into what he is creating. You're there now doing the thing. You're not killing the goose, you're just producing an egg. So I don't worry about inspiration, or anything like that. It's a matter of just sitting down and working.
post #3 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:57 PM

6 speed manual/5 speed auto please.

post #4 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I have seen this over on sl as well and replied, but I think you will get a better, level headed set of technical requests here

Analog Oil Gauge. Dummy lights are worthless unless you want to know why your engine is already making noise

Telescoping steering wheel

For the love of god, resist traction control and ESC as long as humanly possible! Worst thing they have put on a car in a long time IMO. But federal regs will eventually force the issue (2012 I think). At least have an off switch for it if they start putting it on the car. Hell, I am about to add a disable feature for it on our 4Runner. It has nearly caused me to sping completely out trying to "save me" before

The fuel tank baffling is a great comment. This car likes to cut out easilly with low fuel on hard corners. As mentioned, those of us who autocross really know about this. And.. autox is a very big part of the low budget tuner crowd.. the crowd that buys these cars

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped
post #5 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikeyb3d

I find that whenever someone, anyone, moves my seat, I can NEVER get it back to where it was before. And if I did, it still, for some reason, doesnt feeel the same.

Auto open/close sunroof. Ideally, I'd love something that resembled the sunroof function/dial in the newer VW's.

I'm either too close to the steering wheel or too far from the pedals. I'd love a happy medium, or a "perfect" seat position for both. I'm 5'7".

Better hydraulics to hold up my hatch.

I'd love 6 spd.

RWD? Pretty please? Toyota could be the first to snag a HUUUUGE market of RWD fanatics.

More info on my gauge cluster (not just speedo, rev counter, gas, and overall temp)... even as an option. I'd love to know the temp of some of the underhood thingies. And for Gods sake, put the rev counter in the middle. Especially on manuals. Ben put it best. And I agree.

Lighter would be more fun. And maybe more agressive styling. Right now, it looks very much like a 'safe' design.

Would be pretty sweet. I'm interested to see it.
post #6 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:01 PM

more powerful engine, more powerful valve timing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 SCM tC
35%/20% Tints - Hotchkiss Lowering Springs -Flat Black Stockies - Toyo Proxes - HKS Carbon Ti Muffler - Vibrant Ultra Quiet/Aero25 Resonators - 2.5" Custom Piping - 6000k HID - Nokya Yellow High Beam - Tinted Tail Lights, TBL, Eyelids - Tinted SCION Emblem - Debadged "tC" - Ebay VRD Grille - Flat Black/White Interior -

post #7 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:53 PM

I dont know if it can be done,but that rattle in the hatch
post #8 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Try to keep it cool with the profanity. I'm probably going to print this out and give a copy to the chief engineer. This forum is bringing up some important aspects. Thank you for your responses. I'm making a list of the most common complaints and trying to commit them to memory. Hopefully they're not hounding me during my evaluation and I'll be able to fully explain in detail what we all are saying and wanting. Thanks again guys!
post #9 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM

Pinned the topic for you Kelly. Welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll get plenty of great input from our members!

I would like to add some things that should remain, but were not included in the new xB, for whatever reason...

One tough auto up/down for all windows
Auto-off headlights
Alloy wheels
Matching grilles
Usable armrests
Variable intermittent wipers
Lumbar support

more here

Also visit
&

Check out the all new
!

post #10 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to nick_bickel

One thing Toyota in general has been great with in their sport coups, is not cutting corners on the interior design. Don't let this characteristic fall to the wayside. I was unbelievably impressed with the interior on my 89 Toyota Supra. So many things on that car were innovative and designed above and beyond for its time. It was a difficult car to replace simply because I wanted to take all the interior amenities with me. The design of the engine bay however, made it difficult to complete the simplest of maintenance tasks.

My suggestions

Gauges -stay away from digital readouts. Stick with analog. Engifineer made a great point about the oil pressure indicator. We need one.

Seats - A Race inspired comfortable driver and passenger power seat with memory set positioning.

Steering - telescoping steering wheel with memory set. Again, great design on the 89-92 Supra.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, I'm sure I will think up some more ideas soon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page