The Official Exercise/Supplements Thread - Page 3 - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I did majority of them on a 24in box, those were quicker in succession. Then did a few standing on one leg. Then was feeling good and did the 36, did a few then busted my ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 PM

QUOTE (ReDx @ Mar 31 2009, 11:26 PM)
Quote:
I was doing some polymetric jumping on a 36inch platform and really messed myself up. I was doing fine and then one of the times I looked away as I was bringing my feet up and didn't look where I was landing. My toes slipped off the edge and I came down on my shins right on the edge and dragged as I went down. I have two gashes on each shin, the one of my left leg is longer but the one on my right leg is deeper. I've had it wrapped but its still bleeding, has been for 7 hours.

[/b]
Seven hours is too long for bleeding. Better check out the need for sutures!

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. -Heraclitus, philosopher (500 BCE)
post #23 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM

QUOTE (ReDx @ Apr 1 2009, 12:26 AM)
Quote:
its still bleeding, has been for 7 hours.[/b]
You should be empty by now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM

It stopped bleeding later that night. My left shin is still swollen but its numb when I touch it.
post #25 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Ouch, Ryan!

Here's a little background on me...I've been an athlete my entire life. Played soccer for 10+ years, played softball (and was really good at it, probably could have played in college if I stuck to it), downhill ski (raced in high school) and lastly...my love, lacrosse. I hate running unless it's after a ball - go ahead, get your cheap shots in. I found lacrosse later in life because Danbury sucked and didn't have a program growing up, but it combined my strongest skills soccer and softball. I stopped playing softball because it was during lacrosse season. My freshman year in high school, we started a club lax team, were a JV team my soph and jr years, then my senior year was our first year as a varsity team. I was a captain and loved it.

Then came college. I spent more time at the gym then in class my freshman year at UCONN. I was in the best shape of my life, but also had the worst grades of my life. As soon as I calmed down (a little bit) and school became slightly more important on my list of social life, drinking, and working out, I wasn't in the gym as much. But I always played co-ed rec sports - soccer, volleyball, oozeball (google UCONN oozeball), and I played a lot of racquetball.

Needless to say, I graduated, moved home and inbetween May and October, became depressed with the endless job searching and not getting a job, gained weight and as I'm getting older, the metabolism is not in my favor. Between 2005 and now, I've had 2 really strong periods of time that I was dedicated to the gym, lost weight, got back in shape and discovered WEIGHT LIFTING! God, I don't know why in high school they never had us girls lifting, it's amazing what it does to your body!

So that brings me to present day. About a month ago, I got back into the gym hardcore...like on 5+ days a week and I feel awesome. Going to the gym isn't a chore to me, I enjoy it. Here's what my workouts typically look like:

30 minutes of cardio on a bike or elliptical.
30 minutes of weights - I usually alternate days with tris/bis, squats, chest/back. 3 sets a piece back and forth.
10-15 minutes of cardio on a treadmill, moving stairs, stepper...something more difficult then bike or elliptical.
Finish up with 3 sets of abs on a bosu alternating with assisted chin ups (85lbs).
Stretch that sh*t out!

Occasionally I'll go to a spin class or do a Les Mills class that they have at the gym. I should do bootcamp because there are a lot of hot guys in it and it's a killer workout, but I want to get in some shape so I don't pass out during it...that would be embarassing.

If there are days that I don't want to/don't have time for weights, I'll do 40 minutes of cardio and then definitely do my abs/assisted chin ups. For my body, I've noticed a BIG difference just within 3 weeks of how my body reacts to chin ups. For example, the dress I bought for the wedding: a month ago, wasn't going to wear a bra with it. When I put it on Friday, I had to wear a bra with it or it would have slid off me. (Sorry if that's TMI, just wanted to give an example.) Plus, I used to date someone who climbed, and I got sucked into it and that machine helps with the muscles I need for climbing. Unfortunately, there isn't a climbing gym near me...I really wish there was. That is a killer workout and so much fun if anyone hasn't tried it yet and is lucky enough to have a gym close by.

I'm not dieting, but I'm trying to eat smaller portions of "bad" stuff and make wiser choices of eating "good" stuff. You only live once, and there's no way in hell I'm cutting out my favorite foods (CHEESE!) because it's delicious and f anyone who tries to tell me to not eat it. That's how strongly I feel about cheese.

That's it. Anyone can feel free to comment, chime in, give me new ideas, etc. I'm so excited that I know I will be able to fit into my favorite clothes...jeans & skirts! within the next 2 months. I'm not getting in shape for summer, I'm just getting in shape. But it's nice that I'll be in shape for the summer on the boat

06 5spd FM.sold
96 Jeep Cherokee Country.sold
10 Triumph Street Triple R.moto <3
12 Infiniti G37xCoupe

i miss you, G.
post #26 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Eastie Send a message via Yahoo to Eastie

I wish I could find motivation somewhere so the gym didn't feel like a chore to me. I was really good for 8 months. Went 4-5 times a week, bright and early in the morning before work. Then I got together with the boy in March last year, moved, and dropped the gym. When I moved back in September, I easily could have started it up again. For some reason, I'm just being incredibly lazy and I don't care. Well, I do, but not enough to do something about it.

I went to the doctors a couple months back and they had me step on the scale. I was at a number I was not at all pleased with, and I thought that was going to scare me into going back to the gym. It did...but I only went once. I have no good excuses. I just lack the motivation and I don't know how I'm going to get it. Maybe reading through this thread will help me.

R.I.P. George (suprman133) <3: 4/26/1988-9/20/2011
post #27 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 PM

Petro, your story sounds about like my wife. She was really active in high school, except she was a runner and played basketball. Then, she ran some of her freshman year of college, until she tore her ACL and kind of gave up. She put on some weight then, but I like at least a little meat on the bones anyway. She doesn't do dieting very well either, but since we've gotten an elliptical and a new yoga video, we've both gotten a lot more active, and I can definitely start to notice a difference in the both of us.

As for me, I was never active, and I never really ate very much, so I've always just been small and thin. After I graduated college, I tried working out for a while and saw results really fast, but then stopped after a while, and then whenever I tried to get back into, it just seemed harder to get the same results. Guess that was my metabolism going to crap. Now that we've started our yoga though, I'm working on muscles that have never been touched, and we've only been doing it for a few weeks.

I'm curious if you've tried any intense workout yoga sessions, G?

Daily Driver
2008 Lexus IS350 - X Package
Family Driver
2013 Subaru Legacy
Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Plexi. Full Stack. Dimed. It'll Fluff Your Comforter...
Quote:
If done right, Panda can be extremely sexy.
post #28 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to suprman133 Send a message via Yahoo to suprman133

Petro, your story is all too familiar. As an athlete myself, I know what it's like to need to be challenged to stay interested in something.

C, Petro: Try changing your workout routine regularly, or get a lifting buddy. Getting someone to go with you to the gym who also works out hard sparks up a little competition and gets you better results.

The main thing is to KEEP GOING. Just try to get in the habit. Block out your workout schedule post it in your house where it is clearly visible. Seeing it will remind you to do it. Doing it will get you results!

Pertro your workout looks pretty good all around but be careful of your body reaching peak quickly, especially with you being an athlete. (there's no such thing as an ex-athlete, )

A great way to change this up and get more results, is to look into some resistance training using power bands and medicine balls. They are GREAT for definition and work well to shape women's curves, especially becuase they allow a greater range of motion than weights. This helps lengthen muscles as they grow to avoid getting a manly/bulky look. Plus there are hundreds if not thousands of exercises that can be done with each item and even combinations of the two.

Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate posts it could look like its mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your comment could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.
post #29 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to suprman133 Send a message via Yahoo to suprman133

QUOTE (lucidspoon @ Apr 2 2009, 10:52 AM)
Quote:
I'm curious if you've tried any intense workout yoga sessions, G?[/b]
Definitely. Yes it's hard at first, and man (men especially) think that it's easy. WRONG. Yoga is a great way to challenge new muscles (especially the smaller stabilizers) and learn to control heart rate/breathing under stress. I try to do at least one yoga session per week. Power yoga, especially with resistance incorporated into it does great thigns for balance, core strength, and efficiency in motion. It has done wonders for my flexibility, which is usually a problem for people who lift since muscle mass tends to reduce flexibility.

Increasing flexibility, is actually THE NUMBER ONE WAY TO PREVENT INJURY. Most muscle pulls, ligament/tendon injuries, and even impact injury is due to a lack of flexibility. Studies done have shown that athletes who participate in yoga or stretch at least 2 days a week have shown a 33% LOWER Injury rate than those who do not.

Yoga has helped me with breakdancing, capoeira, jeet Kune Do, and even basketball believe it or not. Plus, I enjoy meditation and quiet, so it fits right into my personality.

Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate posts it could look like its mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your comment could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.
post #30 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM

Awesome! I assumed it'd help build muscles for balance / stability. When doing some of the more awkward positions, I'd see my ankles and calves twitching like crazy to adjust for balance, and I thought, "This HAS to be building at least small muscles just from the twitching..."

I took a yoga class back in college that was mostly meditation / relaxation, which I like, but I can do that on my own just as good as doing it in a class. The thing I like about this video is, in this stage at least, it's 5 minutes of stretching, 20 minutes of power yoga, 15 minutes of balance, a couple minutes of stretching again, and then a few minutes of relaxation. In a couple weeks, there will be another 10 minute session before the end stretching and relaxation.

Daily Driver
2008 Lexus IS350 - X Package
Family Driver
2013 Subaru Legacy
Sold

Quote:
Plexi. Full Stack. Dimed. It'll Fluff Your Comforter...
Quote:
If done right, Panda can be extremely sexy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page