LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 506 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to suprman133 Send a message via Yahoo to suprman133

QUOTE (cdmuile @ Mar 27 2009, 06:35 PM)
Quote:
Can you take questions? OK, so if I run for 45 minutes in 5 degree F temp and 45 minutes in 90 degree temp on the same track, which would burn the most calories? And.... how could I have lost almost 20# in 5 days following knee surgery in January?[/b]
Questions are always welcome.

Calorie burning is actually almost independent of your environment as the human body is amazingly accurate and consistent when regulating core temperature. Assuming you were properly guarded against the 5 weather, it should be about the same. The only time you would be consuming way more calories to regulate temperature would be if you were in an EXTREMELY cold environment. Cold enough to lower your core temp., forcing your body to cannibalize fat and muscle tissue to produce endothermic heat.

The intensity of your workout (i.e. speed you're actually running, distance, or resistance) is what will dictate the calories burned.

As for the losing 20 (lbs.) I'm assuming? Factor in a scale error of about +/- 5lbs. and then assume you can lose up to 10 lbs. in water weight very easily in a matter of days. Large amounts of shock (extreme pain, surgery, lack of food) can pull on your body to burn energy reserves to repair the damage, which takes water reserves, hence doubling the amount of water weight you could lose in that same time period. Also, certain pain killers can cause dehydration which is why medicines like Vicadin (often given after knee surgery) are often prescribed with a stool softener, since they lead to constipation because they suck water out of the digestive system.
I.V. serves mostly to hydrate you. But remember your digestive process begins each day whether you eat or not.
Also Rick, I'm not sure of what your physical markup is, but people with less extra muscle (the average joe) will normally lose weight faster after a surgery due to the fast period before and after. Your body unable to digest anything pulls from your reserves, and since muscle excess muscle is normally taken first, the next will be fat storages, and finally vital muscle, so if you're skinnier, you'll lose more of your base.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate posts it could look like its mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your comment could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 506 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

For the record, what G says about extremely low temperature... a good example would be heavy shivering during a drastic temperature change.
Your body attempts to wake body up, generate more energy. Extreme would be a shiver transforming in to a seizure unless properly trained (mind AND body)

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- My

RIP George James aka Suprman 9/20/2011
post #13 of 506 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

^^^Yup... Shivers/shuddering are an example of your body trying to expand/contract muscles quickly to generate endothermic heat. It's a survival tactic embedded in mammals DNA.

Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate posts it could look like its mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your comment could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

post #14 of 506 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:00 AM
RIP George James

Send a message via AIM to Scion08

Alright G I have some questions. What is the ideal time to let your muscles recover before working them out again? Let's say I do all these upper body lifts on Monday, would the next ideal day to start working them again be Wednesday? Also, I have heard that lifting low weight with high reps will work on the definition of your muscle while doing low reps of high weight will build "mass". Is there any truth to that? Thanks again George

/
post #15 of 506 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

QUOTE (Scion08 @ Mar 28 2009, 07:00 AM)
Quote:
Alright G I have some questions. What is the ideal time to let your muscles recover before working them out again? Let's say I do all these upper body lifts on Monday, would the next ideal day to start working them again be Wednesday? Also, I have heard that lifting low weight with high reps will work on the definition of your muscle while doing low reps of high weight will build "mass". Is there any truth to that? Thanks again George[/b]
Rest is incredibly important in muscle building as most of it is repaired during deep sleep. I wouldn't say 'ideally', I would say 'generally' a MWF lifting schedule works for most people. Working a different set of large muscles every time. Chest/back, legs/Core and biceps/shoulders. This works well for most, but depending on your strengths/weaknesses and the intensity of your workout, switching it up may help.

Myself for example I lift MWTHSUN, and play basketball Tuesday and Sat And I never do anything on Fridays. Just relax and drink some protein to help repair the body. Because of the shape I'm in, the basketball games aren't very taxing, and I recover more than enough on these days to lift the next morning, or to spar in martial arts with a client. But other people can't lift more than twice a week. Gauge your progress, write everything down each week, and will give you a good idea of how to approach the next month. One of the most important things to do is to have an UNLOAD WEEK for every FOUR weeks of heavy exercise. This is one people thing ALWAYS forget or don't know they should do and it constricts their possible gains. After 4 weeks of lifting, running, do nothing for one week. This breaks the routine of muscle gain and allows your body to completely repair and forget your routine, avoiding the ever-ominous PLATEAU. Do some light cardio or a few pushups/sit-ups. AS long as you continue eating correctly, you shouldn't lose muscle mass. Then when you pick up again the week after that, you will see great gains. It's like starting over for your body, without losing your base. I've put on almost 25 pounds in just a couple months like this.

Again with the weights:rep ratio, generally, those are the rules. The 8-10 rep range will work on size, while 12-15 will cause tears/cuts. This works well for excercise with dumbbells. However, as your strength increases each week, so must you weight or reps. The idea is that you'll slowly gain strength to go with your size.

For Bench/squat/cleans/dead lifts, you want to follow the following formula. Find your max for each exercise and write it down.Do this by doing ONE rep at each weight and increase by 2.5- 5lbs for each lift until you fail. The heaviest weight you can do a complete rep at ONE time is considered your max. It will be ( or should be more than you normally do) For example I generally bench 255 for my reps, because my bench max is about 305lbs. Once you have your max, you want to life at the following intervals:

75%
80%
85%
of your max for 5 reps for 3 sets.

Soooo if your bench max is 100lbs. lets say, you would want to do
75 lbs. x5
80 lbs. x5
85 lbs. x5
for 4 weeks. Then on your last day before your unload, test your max again. It should have increased, even if only a lil bit. Then use that for the next four weeks.

This works wonders for size and strength, but again is just one way to do it. There are other combinations that work for people.

(who says meat heads are dumb? This sh!t is all math and science!)

I'll be posting some workouts in the next weeks that is are good bases for a beginner.

post #16 of 506 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

QUOTE (suprman133 @ Mar 27 2009, 09:05 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (cdmuile @ Mar 27 2009, 06:35 PM)
Quote:
Can you take questions? OK, so if I run for 45 minutes in 5 degree F temp and 45 minutes in 90 degree temp on the same track, which would burn the most calories? And.... how could I have lost almost 20# in 5 days following knee surgery in January?[/b]
Questions are always welcome.

Calorie burning is actually almost independent of your environment as the human body is amazingly accurate and consistent when regulating core temperature. Assuming you were properly guarded against the 5 weather, it should be about the same. The only time you would be consuming way more calories to regulate temperature would be if you were in an EXTREMELY cold environment. Cold enough to lower your core temp., forcing your body to cannibalize fat and muscle tissue to produce endothermic heat.

The intensity of your workout (i.e. speed you're actually running, distance, or resistance) is what will dictate the calories burned.

As for the losing 20 (lbs.) I'm assuming? Factor in a scale error of about +/- 5lbs. and then assume you can lose up to 10 lbs. in water weight very easily in a matter of days. Large amounts of shock (extreme pain, surgery, lack of food) can pull on your body to burn energy reserves to repair the damage, which takes water reserves, hence doubling the amount of water weight you could lose in that same time period. Also, certain pain killers can cause dehydration which is why medicines like Vicadin (often given after knee surgery) are often prescribed with a stool softener, since they lead to constipation because they suck water out of the digestive system.
I.V. serves mostly to hydrate you. But remember your digestive process begins each day whether you eat or not.
Also Rick, I'm not sure of what your physical markup is, but people with less extra muscle (the average joe) will normally lose weight faster after a surgery due to the fast period before and after. Your body unable to digest anything pulls from your reserves, and since muscle excess muscle is normally taken first, the next will be fat storages, and finally vital muscle, so if you're skinnier, you'll lose more of your base.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the information, George. I understand now.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. -Heraclitus, philosopher (500 BCE)
post #17 of 506 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

QUOTE (cdmuile @ Mar 28 2009, 05:12 PM)
Quote:
Thanks for the information, George. I understand now.[/b]
No problem Rick, anytime. I love talking about this stuff, and your questions help me pull old material out of the old noggin'. Which is always good since most trainers don't ever even bother to learn this stuff, let alone review it.

post #18 of 506 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Weeellll, I figured many more people would be interested in the weight loss information than anything else, so that's what I jumped to next.
WEIGHT LOSS
First off, let me start off with this:

DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE RECOMMENDED WEIGHT LOSS TECHNIQUES/METHODS, BACKED BY RESEARCH, PRACTICAL APPLICATION AND EXPERIENCE. THIS BY NO MEANS GUARANTEES THAT THIS WILL GAIN YOU THE SAME RESULTS AS IT DID MY CLIENTS, NOR THAT IT IS THE ABSOLUTE LAW ON WEIGHT LOSS. EVERY SINGLE HUMAN BEING HAS A UNIQUE COMBINATION OF UNIVERSAL TRAITS THAT MAY MAKE IT EASIER OR MORE DIFFICULT TO LOSE WEIGHT, HOWEVER, IT IS AN ATTAINABLE GOAL FOR EVERYONE. PLEASE CONSULT WITH A PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING ANY KIND OF WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE HEALTHY ENOUGH TO EXECUTE THE EXERCISE AND THE DIETS WITHOUT ENDANGERING YOUR HEALTH /rant

Now... Let us begin.

First, We need to discuss weight loss and the mentality we as a society have about it. There is no magical (or at the very least healthy)way to lose 50 lbs. in a month or 10 lbs. in a week. Much like muscle building, RESHAPING your body is a process that takes time. Secondly please understand that losing weight is a three part equation. MIND BODY AND DIET must all be in sync to achieve the desired results.

1. I KNOW! I'LL GET SOME HYDROXYCUT!: Ask yourself this, if a perfectly healthy person suddenly lost 20 lbs. you would be concerned, correct? It's not any different for someone overweight. There are healthy and unhealthy ways to lose/gain weight. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN "FAT BURNERS" OF ANY KIND EXCEPT IN VERY VERY FEW EXTREME CASES (over 350 lbs.) HYDROXYCUT, SLIM 6, ZANTREX, STACKER, STACKER 2 ETC. ALL THOSE THINGS ARE COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY AND SIMPLY TRICK YOUR BODY AT THE RISK OF HEART DISEASE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND AN ENTIRE OTHER SLEW OF SIDE EFFECTS THAT HAVE BEEN DOCUMENTED. MOREOVER, BECAUSE YOU TRICKED YOUR BODY RATHER THAN RETRAINING IT, YOU BECOME DEPENDENT AND WILL GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK AS SOON AS YOU DISCONTINUE USE. NONE OF THEM ARE FDA APPROVED, AND MOST ARE JUST STACKED BOOSTS OF CAFFEINE. Don't trust testimonials or "scientific studies" from the manufacturer. You don't need this stuff.

much like a turbo for your body, you can't do this quick and cheap and expect your body to be reliable and healthy. It just doesn't work. It will cost you sacrifice, time and lots of effort.

2. DIET: When I mention this word the first time, clients wince in disgust. There is no such thing as a "diet" in the classic sense of the word. The word diet simply refers to what you are eating everyday. Every single living creature on the planet is on a 'diet'. Dieting DOES NOT mean eating an onslaught of bland foods, vegetables, and portions made for children.

It DOES mean regulating your portions, cutting junk food, counting caloric intake, and increasing the % of your food that is being used efficiently. My "diet" consists of amazing foods that almost no one would mind eating.

3. HOW DO I LOSE WEIGHT?: First off, you must find your basic caloric intake (BCI), and cut roughly 500 calories from it. This equals 1-2.5 pounds of weight loss per week depending on your body's natural genetic tendencies. This has been agreed as the healthiest most efficient way of losing weight without excessive "flab" left over, or excessive fatigue on the body. There are many online calculators available to find your BCI but I like this one best, since it seems to be the most accurate to a dietitian's scale, and accounts for weekly activities as well.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/cal...alculator.htm#

Secondly, you want to vary you caloric intake by day to keep your weight loss from becoming stagnant. This is the problem with most "diets" out there. They are repeated routines and you eat the same things at the same time everyday. Your body quickly becomes wise to this and will optimize weight retention based on each food's nutritional value.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE based on a roughly 3100 daily caloric intake

Ex Fat Loss Fat Loss Maintain weight
Monday 1996 2661 3326
Tuesday 1597 2129 2661
Wednesday 2395 3193 3991
Thursday 1996 2661 3326
Friday 1796 2395 2994
Saturday 2195 2927 3659
Sunday 1996 2661 3326

*Calorie cycling provides same amount of calories per week, but 'tricks' your body by constantly changing daily calories. This helps to prevent or break plateaus. Guideline only.

You DO NOT want to cut more than 500 calories from your daily maintenance level to start with, because you can trigger a starvation mode in your body, which will then slow your metabolism to burn less energy, and actually try to begin retaining weight to save itself. This is why people who skip meals to slim down regularly complain about not losing weight. Their bodies kick into survival mode and counteract their attempts to starve themselves. You CAN, very SLOWLY INCREASE the amount of calories taken out if 500 is not yielding results, or increase your workout intensity. DO NOT EXCEED a 1000 calorie cut or continue to cut calories if you seen signs of fatigue, sickness, or restlessness. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

CARB BASED/ ATKINS STYLE DIETS: Secondly, don't worry so much about what kinds of calories you are in-taking. Avoid high cholesterol foods and forget the rest. Carbs myths, fatty acids, omegas etc. are all convenient ways to avoid tackling the issue at hand. There is only one main way people gain weight, when they intake more calories than they are burning off. Simple as that, and I'd like to drop kick trainers/dieticians that teach people otherwise. What how much of you eat and when. Eat often to boost your metabolism and eat healthy. You should be fine.

Picking 'healthy' foods is common sense, avoid things high in sugar, and avoid saturated fats in fast food. (Mc Donald's, etc) A basic rule of thumb is, "if you have to think about whether its healthy or not, it probably isn't". Use common sense. Sushi, steak, Chicken, fish, fruits, vegetables, rice, whole grain breads, oatmeal, eggs, ham, turkey, all these things are normal parts of a diet that are perfectly fine to eat.

4. GAIN MUSCLE TO BURN FAT?: Yes and no. This is the biggest myth in exercise. You CANNOT do both of these at the same time. They are exact metabolic opposites of each other. Muscles need HIGH caloric intake to grow. Losing weight requires low caloric intake. When you cut caloric intake, you sacrifice some muscle mass in doing so in order to also burn fat. To do this, the two must be done in separate stages. This is why professional body builders go through a BULKING stage, where they gain as much muscle as their frame will allow, then enter a CUTTING stage after, in order to lower body fat % and get the definition they need. When losing weight, developing UNDERDEVELOPED muscles will help raise the amount of calories you're burning which will help increase weight loss. Please understand that you are not getting buffer, but shedding fat, which in turn, makes you look bigger as far as muscles go.

5. EXERCISE: This is again, a given, but many people forget to/say they don't have time. If it's important to you, you'll make time. And I'm sick and tired of people ducking this all-important part of the equation. Can you lose weight without working out? Definitely. Will it be extremely slow, difficult, and far from ideal? You bet your ass. I know you have a job/school/sick uncle, whatever. get up half an hour earlier.

But "I'm tired, need more sleep, out of shape" Well Boof*ckinghoo. I work two jobs fulltime, go to school, go to bed at midnight after doing homework and get up a 5 A.M. to lift. What's your excuse?

Start with just a half hour walk if you have to, but start. Developing the habit is what's important. You can increase workout intensity as you go along. On the flipside of this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start with an exercise regiment appropriate for your individual fitness level. Don't start your first week running a mile if you can't jog half of one. And don't try to bench 200 lbs. if you can't curl 40. The important thing is getting your heart pumping and burning extra calories that you normally wouldn't.

6. STAY HYDRATED: At least 48 ounces per day (most people will not process 64 ounces which is the popular recommendation, just runs right through them) Drink lots of water, and as your muscle increases and fat decreases, you fitness level will make your body ask you for more water. Work your way up to 64 ounces and beyond. This helps you lose weight( fat cells break down and partially escape through our urine when we go to the bathroom, this is how drug tests work, becuase drugs become stored in your fat cells, then re-released when you digest and go to the bathroom). Water also flushes toxins out of your body.

7. BE CONSISTENT AND WORK HARD!:
This one speaks for itself. Do what you do, do it right, do it consistently. Be motivated, and when you're not, look for motivation. Work hard, often people don't push themselves hard enough or long enough. Either work out lighter for longer or shorter and super hard. But don't work out lightly for 20 minutes. You're not helping the supplements do they're jobs. Don't cheat, and keep positive. Earn respect from your body, and it will respond accordingly. Don't cheat in your dieting. Eat healthy, eat right, eat often.

post #19 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

I was doing some polymetric jumping on a 36inch platform and really messed myself up. I was doing fine and then one of the times I looked away as I was bringing my feet up and didn't look where I was landing. My toes slipped off the edge and I came down on my shins right on the edge and dragged as I went down. I have two gashes on each shin, the one of my left leg is longer but the one on my right leg is deeper. I've had it wrapped but its still bleeding, has been for 7 hours.

post #20 of 506 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

^^^oouch... Looks rough ryan. If it's still bleeding, run out and get some epsom salts. They heal cuts and cauterize wounds. A soak in that with some warm water should help them stop bleeding and heal up much faster. It will also help suppress any bruising that will most likely occur.

EDIT: Also, plyometric jumping is great, but people have watered down it's purpose. A single high jump is good, but almost useless with that much load time between jumps. You'd be much better with a lower height and repetitive, explosive jumps over a longer interval, or sequential jumps at increasing heights.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page