Issues with Exhaust - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Issues with Exhaust

New here, did a search didn't find anything about this.

I have a 2006 Scion TC Manual, 110K Miles and I'm having a bit of a recurring issue with the exhaust.

I bought the car last october from a guy, and I'm not going to say he didn't take care of the car, but there are those interesting tidbits that that tell, this thing was run on a budget.

I'm slowly working through these and reworking them to do them RIGHT.

When I got the car, It had a slightly louder than normal exhaust, and after I had some fun with it, it suddenly got really loud. We checked it and the pipe that connects to the downpipe, that middle pipe that goes over the wheels, and connects to the large pipe with the second Catalytic converter had severed.

Turns out it wasn't. Looks like a shop flanged a pipe in the back, and shoved a pipe coming from the front together to create this weird flexy over the wheel connection for the exhaust.

So I replaced the pipe with a Walker 53672 S-pipe.

So this was last year around december, today, I've got a huge crack at the first bend heading towards the driver.

Now I can chalk this up to the pipe being crap, and it probably is, but is this a common issue with these cars? There's no flex pipe material in the exhaust anywhere I can see. The torque and engine movement looks like it's being eaten by the exhaust.

Anyone else have this issue? if not, anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong? Or a if Walker parts are crap and I just shouldn't get those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Never heard of an issue like this on the tC. I would inspect the hangers. If any of the rubber ones are missing, or are replaced by a welding in bit, then I would guess that is putting undo stress on another part of the system and causing the breakage. On all cars, the engine tq movement is transferred to the exhaust, but the movement allowed by the rubber hangers prevents any issue. I have no idea why there would have been flex pipe used ... sounds like they did some strange things with the exhaust.

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so that more or less narrows it down to a shoddy part. We were thinking maybe a motor mount or something might need a replacement.

But it sounds like it's just a crap replacement part.

Alright. Works for me.

Thanks.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 01:52 PM
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Either a crappy replacement part or they did not replace all the hangers. I have had a broken hanger (the rubber part) cause an exhaust to fail and break before. So first make sure they are all there. Second. make sure they did not hard weld a metal bracket in place of a rubber hanger. The rubber is meant to allow flex and movement in the system without breaking something, while still supporting the exhausts weight.

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Thank you for sharing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page