Another Key Help thread - please... - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another Key Help thread - please...

I've read about a billion threads on multiple Scion forums all with varying information. So I finally joined after purchasing an '09 Scion. (First Post).

I only received one key - black - with no markings that opens the glove. I have no idea if it's the "master"; or how to tell; or if that matters.

The end goal: Another key (no buttons) and at least 1 key with buttons. Is there a particular name for each?

Questions:
1. Any easy way to tell what remote features the car has. Besides the doors - would it have remote trunk and/or start? I figured I'd need this info to determine which key (with buttons) to get.

2. I think i'm reading I can get a replacement key (no buttons) fairly easy. Just get one from eBay - sweet talk someone to cut it - and do some key in/out door open/close trick. Is this the case? OR will that only work if the key i have is almighty master? This get's mixed answers. Any particular working key link on eBay would be appreciated.

3. Now then - the key with buttons. This is where more confusion lies. Can I get a key that includes the chip and still do the trick above and still program the buttons too? Assuming I figured out if it has trunk/remote start etc...

Any help would be appreciated - and a big thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

bump... anyone?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

The key with the buttons unlocks the doors. By default that also means it unlocks the hatch. There is no "hatch open" like a trunk open feature because it is a hatch, meaning it is heavier and will not pop up on its own. So you just unlock it and open it normally.

There is also a panic button on the remote key of course. If the car has Scion Security (not some other random dealer installed option) then the stock remote key will also activate the alarm when you hit the lock button. To tell if you have scion security, look for a glass break sensor to the left of the steering wheel that specifically says "Scion Security" on it. If it does not say that, it is not the same system (or it does not have the security system installed).

There is no factory remote start, only keyless entry and alarm if equipped.

There are programming instructions here and there for programming the new key. I have not tried them (I still have both of my stock remote keys plus the valet key that you have) but I think I have heard they work. Be sure to get one from a reputable seller, as I have heard of people spending money on aftermarket FOB keys and never getting them to work.

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Anything specific i need to be looking out for when getting a new key w or w/o buttons? And - CAN i program the button key myself? Both the chip and the buttons?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxooxv View Post
thanks for the reply.

Anything specific i need to be looking out for when getting a new key w or w/o buttons? And - can i program the button key myself? Both the chip and the buttons?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:34 AM

Thank you for sharing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page