DIY: Independent Fog Lights - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Ignorance-intolerant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DIY: Independent Fog Lights

This DIY will show you how to rig your Fog light relay to allow the fog lights to come on independently with your parking lights. By rigging them this way:
1. The fog light switch still works as normal
2. The fog lights will only come on if your parking lights or low beams are on
3. The fog lights will go off with your headlights, like normal.
4. The fog lights will still turn off when you flash your brights, like normal

*DISCLAIMER*
YSTC or I are in no way responsible for you frying your car's electrical system or any malfunctions that are caused by your attempting this DIY.

Step 1: Locate and remove the Fog Light Relay.
The Relay consists of 3 parts. A small black end that plugs into your switch, a large white end connector, and a small black box.

• Unplug the large white plug
  • Push out your fog light button and unplug the small black plug
  • Reach behind the black box (shown on the left above) and pull. It will come out with a little tug

Here's the relay assembly.

Step 2: Remove the GREY wire from the white harness and insert it in next to the GREEN wire
Now i did this awhile ago following a DIY from a different site. So i don't remember where the grey wire was originally. But here you see where it needs to end up.

There is a plate ontop of the white plug that holds all of the wires into the plug itself. Using tiny tools...
  • Remove the white plug
  • Remove the GREY wire from it's original place
  • Electrical tape/Shrinkwrap the excess of the GRAY wire (you don't want that sticking out). I shrinkwrapped mine as you see.
  • Insert the GREY wire in with the GREEN wire. Make sure the two wires have good contact with each other
  • Replace the white plug
  • Make sure your wires are all snug and aren't going to fall out

Step 3: Replace the relay in the car.
  • Connect the large white connector
  • Plug the small black plug into the back of your switch
  • Replace the black box on the side of the wire-panel

Step 4: Test!
Now making sure to keep an eye for death and destruction, turn on the parking lights, then push your Fog light switch. Your Fog lights should come on with just your parking lights.
Turn your headlights on. Check to see if the fogs are on with your headlights.
Turn on your high beams. Check to see that the fog lights go off when you do this.

If everything checks out, do a little dance. Because you're done.

Good luck to everyone on this. I've been doing it for over a year with no problems. I even have HIDs in my fogs too. Only thing to keep in mind is if you have HIDs in your fogs and leave your parking lights on all the time like I do, then make sure to turn your fogs off before you start the car next time. HIDs can get a little wanky (only one will turn on, it'll put strain on the lights, etc) if you have them come on when the car is being turned on. Sometimes they HIDs don't get enough power because the car is using so much to start.
Basically it's just better for any HIDs (headlights included) to turn them on after you start the car.

Happy modding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<<Click for old tC Pic Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 04:35 PM
tC Freak

This is what I did to mine a few months ago. I never made the thread though, but this will help alot of people and I LOVE independent fog lights.

My Thread -->

Facebook --->

Quote:
I'm gonna have to say, I think beckerz's is bigger!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Gynecomastia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

good job jack! really nice right up. you just gotta post a video.

Quote:
lol .... at 15 yrs of age ... it may be a nice break ....
Calm down people ... we are just kidding ... I would track his little butt down and drag it back home !

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Ignorance-intolerant

Whatcha need a video for? I mean i can make one but i don't see the use for one.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
tC Freak

Do you have to splice the gray wire onto the green one. Or just insert them in the same hole? I dint get it. Doesnt seem like they can both fit into one hole.

Current Mods

Turbo'd
30% Tints | Smoked Tail Lights | S2K Antenna | 6000K Low Beams | Cool White LEDs: Dome, Cubby, Rear, Reverse, Parking, License Plate | TRD Springs | VRD Fogs | White Stockies |

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Ignorance-intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlejack13 View Post
Pull out the gray pin, and insert it into the same slot as the green wire. It doesn't have to go all the way through. It just has to be in good contact with the gray wire.
For posterity.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Garage

Quote:
This DIY will show you how to rig your Fog light relay to allow the fog lights to come on independently with your parking lights. By rigging them this way:
1. The fog light switch still works as normal
2. The fog lights will only come on if your parking lights or low beams are on
3. The fog lights will go off with your headlights, like normal.
4. The fog lights will still turn off when you flash your brights, like normal
Just curious why do you want the fogs to go off when high beams are on?

Msg me for great deals on Cutco Cutlery!
American made since 1949!
Has a forever warranty!

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Ignorance-intolerant

That's normal with all cars. Any car you drive will have the fog lights go off then the high beams go on (the tC does it stock), but you don't notice because of your highs.
It's illegal to have more than 4 light sources up front. 2 low beams, 2 fog lights, and 2 high beams would be too many and therefore illegal.

Also I imagine it's a lot of strain on the system.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 AM

Garage

Quote:
That's normal with all cars. Any car you drive will have the fog lights go off then the high beams go on (the tC does it stock), but you don't notice because of your highs.
It's illegal to have more than 4 light sources up front. 2 low beams, 2 fog lights, and 2 high beams would be too many and therefore illegal.

Also I imagine it's a lot of strain on the system.
ok cool thanks, I have 10K Hid's in lows and VRD fogs from Meng Motorsports (When I have time to install the fogs that is)
Once again thanks Candlejack for the expertise!

Msg me for great deals on Cutco Cutlery!
American made since 1949!
Has a forever warranty!

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM

hi can this wiring work on a 2012 tc? if not would you have a wiring diagram for the 2012?
any help would be appreciated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page