Soft Clutch and Hard Shifts - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Soft Clutch and Hard Shifts

Hi all,
Interesting story here. I recently swapped an 07 2AZFE into an 05 TC. While I was in there I also changed the clutch out because the old one was a bit "worn". About a month after that the clutch pedal started to get stuck at the floor and if you were holding the pedal down it would suddenly engage. Changed the CMC and the slave(47 bucks at advance and a couple hours of time, not too bad honestly), I bench bled(hooked the feed line to the res, pushed the rod in with my thumb, once it reached end of travel I plugged the pressure port with my other thumb and let the rod return) the CMC and it was driveable, but now the entirety of the slaves travel is all in about the last 2 inches of the pedals. I've bled every day now and just left it to gravity bleed through a full reservoir of fluid and bled again to no improvement. If you push the clutch into the engine start position and let off a half inch the car will start moving, I know the hard shifts are caused by the clutch not engaging while I pull it out and try to push it into gear. I've tried using the clutch adjustment but it doesn't do much to help. Before I could shift with the pedal maybe a third of the way down and now I cant even pull it out of gear with the pedal nearly at the floor? The only parts I haven't changed as of yet are the fork and the pressure line, but I cant see it being either because I'm not losing fluid and the clutch doesn't get stuck. Am I looking at a bad CMC?
Regards,
Paul

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 AM

I have had this exact same problem pretty much, my slave cylinder went out after my car sat a while and I had to replace it. First I just went to autozone or advance and got a replacement from them and swapped it out. I adjusted it, bled it, etc and it seemed to be working ok but was not quite the same as the oem part. About 2 weeks later it gave out again on my way home from work, leaving my car stranded. Luckily I had kept the oem slave cylinder and ordered a rebuild kit and had rebuilt it. I swapped the autozone part out and bled it and got it home, took the autozone part back, it's worked fine ever since about 2 or 3 years ago. So I would recommend getting the oem part or if you have your old one still, get the rebuild kit and rebuild it. It's easy, the kit cost about $30 from an online oem dealer, and takes about 20 mins to do.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quick update, it appears the jam nut on the back of my clutch adjuster is a larger size than that of the thread and that was letting the pedal slowly move out of adjustment. My only complaint moving forward is the bite point is so high relative to the throw of the pedal.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page