1Likes
  • 1 Post By engifineer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 3rd Gen 4Runner : Valuable info

I know a few people on here had one of these at some point or another.

If you ever decide you need to replace the rear wheel bearings. Search axle seal leaks on yotatech or message me. Trust me, you want to know all the details.

The bearings tend to never fail on their own. However, the easy to replace, cheap axle seals do, and if they leak oil through the bearings long enough, once you fix them the bearings have been washed of their grease and generally go, so people just swap them when they swap the seals.

The issue is that practically any shop (including some dealerships) will not know how to properly place the ABS and final retainer ring, and the leak will immediately re-occur worse than before. Then you cut off those parts you just replaced and do it right The issue is that the final retainer, which the seal rides on (it does not seal against the axle itself) has no hard stop, nor does the ABS ring. So if the shop simply pressed them on as a stack up, it will be wrong. There is a method that the dealerships even use to measure, press the parts on, re-measure and then assemble.

I found this out the hard way using another machine shop to do the press work. Toyota wanted $600 minimum to fix it, and likely more they said. I bought a press, which I already wanted, for $200 brand new and did it myself, and even did it without replacing half the parts they said they could not salvage. With patience and the right techniques it cost me only $20 plus the price of the press. So yeah ... an excuse to purchase a new tool I wanted ... but still a pain!
undesired_efx likes this.

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Good info
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 01:28 PM

Have you ever seen lifted Toyota 4Runners? I have, and itís an astonishing sight. Personally, Iím not a big fan of lifting Ė the process, I mean. I only admire from a far
I like what these guys did Toyota 4Runner Lifted. VERY popular*customization of 4Runner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:03 AM

There is a method that the dealerships even use to measure, press the parts on, re-measure and then assemble.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page