1Likes
  • 1 Post By engifineer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Engi's S2000

So I finally got the build complete on the S2000. Well, after taking the last photo I realized I need to make a small tweak to the hood stops to even them out ... but thats a 5 min fix

As some already know, I picked up an Ap1 S2000 last summer, ran it in B-Street class at our local autox events here. Ended up a fraction of a point (as in a tenth of a point or so out of 400 points) out of first place. So I was happy and really enjoyed the car in stock (well, a big front sway is allowed in stock classes, so mostly stock) form. They are great fun straight from the factory.

But, being as I am, I cant leave well enough alone and decided in January to build it for STR (Street Touring Roadster) class for this season. So I recently performed the following:
Purchased 800lb front\650lb rear springs from hyperco
Koni sleeves
Had my koni's revalved for the new spring rates
Bought a set of TR Motorsports C3 17X9 + 63 wheels
Bought a set of 255 Dunlop ZII Star Specs
Lowered the car about 3/4"
Kept the Moddiction (Saner remake) front Sway
New front end links
Had it corner balanced and aligned for autox use (-2.5 deg camber, a bit of toe in in the rear, 0 toe up front)

I instruct at our Novice school (yesterday) and got to take it for some runs for an hour during "ride along with the instructor" runs. I have to say, the S2000 is an incredible car stock, but in STR trim it is simply amazing. Grip was awesome with the setup and the ZII's. Those tires rock! Car felt more neutral than stock and surprised me in every turn regarding how well it just stuck and went. Dunlops got a bit greasy and grip fell off a tad towards the end of back to back runs for an hour, but that is nothing that a spray bottle between runs cant remedy on really hot days.

Before mods:

After mods:

undesired_efx likes this.

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Nice!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Frequent Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage

Great looking s2k! Are you going to do any work to the engine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Destroyer of Cones

None planned right now. In STR I can do an intake (the stock intake basically pulls from the hood gap or very close, which is about 12 inches from the front of the motor), exhaust and I think I can do hondata tuning, but on the AP1 you do not get much out of that.

I will likely eventually get an exhaust for it because I want one. The previous owner set up the stock exhaust so the last section and mufflers are connected with a clamp. He also included a tube that replaced the mufflers and entire rear section with a turn down tube that dumps straight into the ground behind the driver area. He managed to pass sound with it at events before, but I think the limits have changed. I may run it at our TNT with it like that. If it passes sound rules then I will just run sans mufflers at events. But, I would still like to have an exhaust for regular use later. However, for the cost of good exhausts for this car I could buy a lot of suspension parts, which I did this time around.

If I go with a different exhaust later I may look at a header. But, the S is tuned very well from the factory. There is not a lot of gain to be had with exhaust mods on it and you can easilly spend $2000 on exhaust and header.

Actually, way down the road I would not mind having a second S2000 and going forced induction on it and making more of a track car out of it ... but thats WAY down the road

Thanks for the compliments!

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Destroyer of Cones

Some new goodies for the s2k arrived today. Fresh RE-71R's, emanage ultimate loaded with Karcepts tune and the boomslang harness to make it nice and easy to install (and actually pnp to keep it STR legal). Should make for better midrange (even better when I pick up the header, cat and intake) which is great for autox. Nothing like some car pRon !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1466736043360.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	4633  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page