Changed rotors, brakes are squishy, help! - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Changed rotors, brakes are squishy, help!

Hi Guys, haven't posted here in years.

So after finishing school, starting career, moving etc, I neglected my poor TC for a good number of years. Sitting at 142k miles, decided to put on new rotors/pads, and change all of my fluids and give the car some love.

A couple days ago I changed the rotors/pads and noticed my brakes were very soft and squishy. I bled the lines, brakes still squishy.

All the bleeder valves release nothing but brake fluid, no air bubbles, EXCEPT the front driver side valve. This sends a solid stream of brake fluid for a few seconds, followed by a lot of air bubbles, followed by just pure air, then a sloshy mix of air/brake fluid, followed by clean solid brake fluid and then the whole process repeats itself.

Last two days I had run through about 4 qts of brake fluid trying to bleed this through. I have no idea what could be the issue?

My thought is that I have air pockets in the master cylinder.

I made sure to always keep the master cylinder topped off, and I bled the lines using a half full bottle with a clear tube connected from the bleeder valve into the bottle to not allow air back in.

Any idea guys? I don't see any cracks or leaks in my brake lines or the caliper. This issue is driving me crazy, especially since FR,RR, and RL lines are pushing solid brake fluid with no air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Update:

I got a new bleeder valve and new copper washers for the brake line that connects to the Caliper. I then proceeded to very softly by hand push down my brakes and slapped the master cyllinder around to get some of the trapped air out, then I bled the brakes very slowly. Eventually most of the air bubbles were out of the line, but still some small air bubbles were coming through. The weird thing is, after I closed off the new bleeder valve, small air bubbles were still going through the line. I thought it was maybe my clear tube pulling air from around the valve but when I tried it on the other calipers, no air was coming through.

Anyways, the resistance of the brakes came back to about the same level as it was before I changed anything. Still not very confident in stopping on the dime at higher speeds, but good enough to drive around for now.

Noticed some brake fluid leak out of the bleed valve when I opened it with a tube to bleed. I had to open it only very slightly in order to not cause any bleeding, but air was still getting in. This is a new valve, so does that mean that the caliper should be replaced soon?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Don't know how to edit but I meant to say that brake fluid was coming around from the thread AROUND the bleed valve! Any ideas?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Where is Donnie?

not sure if teflon tape is a remedy as I'm not sure it will handle the heat i the brakes get warm.

2011 Subaru STi DD/Track Monster | Stage 2+ | Eibach ProKit+ | Cobb Tuning Downpipe | Cobb SF Intake | Ark Grip Cat-back Exhaust | Deatschwerks 65C | COBB APV3
Tanabe Revel VLS Oil Pressure/AFR Gauges | Seibon CF Hood | Moroso 2-Stage Catch-cans | Advan RZ 18x9 +45 | Hella SuperTones | Tint | White Satin Pearl

2003 Lexus IS300 Sport Design | 5-MT | Thundercloud Metallic

RIP Suprman133 4/26/88 - 9/20/11
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by undesired_efx View Post
not sure if teflon tape is a remedy as I'm not sure it will handle the heat i the brakes get warm.
Have been keeping on eye on it, and not losing any fluid. I'm a little over 142k miles, will just change all 4 calipers at 150k.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page