Scion tC Forums banner

Automatic windows don't work and check engine light won't turn off

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  keoni008 
#1 ·
Hey,

Ever since I installed a new cold air intake years ago my 07 tC's driver side window won't roll up automatically like it used to or how my left side still does and the check engine light has never disappeared.

I've already screwed in the receiver from the old air system to the new and is held on tight, still the check engine light won't turn off.

Over the years when the lights were reset, the check engine light would turn back on.

There have been no incidents regarding my engine since the engine light first turned on 2 years ago.

Anyone has any suggestions? The engine light is a real eye sore.

#2 ·
The light isnt an eyesore, something is wrong. You need to see what code is set. Did you get an intake for an 07+ specifically?

The fix for your windows is simple and is in your owners manual. After the battery is disconnected you have to re initialize them. Open window halfway, roll back up and hold the switch up for another 5 seconds or so. Problem solved.

#6 ·
I reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for 15 minutes.

The light was off at first but when I took it for the test drive right after it lit up within 3 miles.

The window reset did not work either, it seemed to have worked in one try but 10 minutes later my driver side window stopped working again and my passenger window continued working fine.

I've done what the manual said, I don't know what other options to take other than to take it to the dealership.

I'll post back for results.

#7 ·
To reset the windows just keep holding the damn thing in for like 20 seconds all the way down, and all the way up. If it resets itself, then just keep resetting it until it sticks.

As for the CEL you've probably just got a bunk intake. Or a crap filter. Go get your code checked and see what it's actually for. For all you know you could just need a new gas cap and it could be a coincidence that it came on when you installed your intake.

#8 ·
Well, that link is for an intake to fit an 04-05 tc. They changed the maf setup in 07. So even if you were able to install the maf it will never work right and will set a code.

But like we have said, you wont find out whats wrong without having the codes pulled to see which codes are set.

#9 ·
The window reset seems to finally be sticking, will know for sure over the next few days as I drive if it'll go back or not.

The code is P0101:

1. Vacuum hose off, cracked or passage blocked engine mechanical timing condition
2. Throttle body intake tube loose, off or cracked
3. Barometer/Manifold Absolute Pressure defective
4. Vane Air Flow, Mass Air Flow sensor dirty or defective

Does anyone have advice on how to fix these? If its the MAF will I just always have it on because the intake I have is for 04-05 tC?

#10 ·
Well like Engi said, if your intake is for an 05-06 and you're running it on an 07 then you're always going to throw a code for it.

And judging by the codes, I'd say that's your issue. It's just not sealed up well somewhere.

I'm curious what kind of gas mileage you're getting.

#14 ·
On average I get 21mpg but I mostly drive city and I constantly have a lead foot. When I drive highway I get about 30mpg or even a little bit more. I have an intake and exhaust installed and noticed slightly and only SLIGHTLY better MPG with the intake. It sounds to me like you have a hose that isnt connected well. Usually the hose that goes form the intake to the top of the engine area. I know my friends matrix is throwing a code because of that seal right there that he has with his aftermarket intake.

#12 ·
Well "the issue" seems to be the fact that you have a wrong-year intake for your car and it's not sealed properly (that or the installation was done wrong). So if you get the right intake and everything seals up right, you should be fine. Either go get the code cleared at autozone or pull your neg battery terminal for like 10 minutes.

However, some intakes just pull a CEL. Everyone has different experiences with them.

#13 ·
The intake, if its the correct year and installed correctly, should never cause a code to be set. The intake is doing almost nothing for performance or mileage on this car in reality, so it should not set a code.

But, driving around with the wrong one and a MAF that is not correct for the intake could cause issues down the road, especially if it causes an ongoing lean condition.

I average (city and hwy mix) 25 mpg overall, and I dont baby the car, so your mileage seems a bit low, which could be because of the intake, but it is hard to say really without knowing exact driving habits. Either way though, if the intake was meant for an 04-05, it wont work correctly on your 07. I would put the stock intake back on, clear the code and drive it for a while to make sure that was it. Then go get the right intake, or just leave the intake stock.

#15 ·
Alright, I'll check for the hoses and if it looks tight I'll re-install the stock intake this week because thats seeming like the best option if its going to cause issues down the road.

Would I at least be able to sell the 04-05 intake? I rather have some money from it to buy an 07 intake.

And if that wasn't the problem I'll go through the rest of the list the code cited as being the cause.

And thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it

#16 ·
Yeah absolutely sell it... put it on CL or ebay or even on here...

#17 ·
Definitely sell it and get the correct intake, but as a bit of troubleshooting, you could always put the stock air box back on and see if the light goes out, that way it could narrow down the problem, some people have problems with intakes, because the filter has to much oil on it, which fouls the M.A.F Sensor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.