Motor Oil? - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
tC Freak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just wanting to know what everything thinks about different brands of motor oil. Some people swear by Pennzoil, others by Valveline, etc...What do yall use and why?

I just put pennzoil in mine today and some people say it causes sludge. I was also wondering what yall thought about that? Does any oil cause sludge and can you explain why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Former '05er

Garage

You'd be way better off asking these questions at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com. Oil is almost like religion. Everyone has their beliefs. Few actually have any data to back up their claims.

lance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 URL10L-FEZRHA Atomic Silver/Circuit Red
'08 USE20L−FEZRHA Obsidian/Black
'93 JZA80L-ALFVZA Alpine Silver/Black

Emotional Arguments - they're not just for chicks anymore.

Most performance mods need a watch and timed course to demonstrate actual improvement. Few deliver the advertised claims. Many are actually worse than stock. The best performance mods are made to the driver.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
tC Freak

QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Apr 28 2010, 06:42 PM)
Quote:
Few actually have any data to back up their claims.[/b]
Thats what I've found about most people on this subject...

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

In general, a lot of us on here use Royal Purple or Amsoil. Dont ask an Amsoil dealer what they think, because relating oil to a religion, they are the fanatical muslim terrorists of the group. Hell, they will even make up crap about other oil.. even citing bs on Amsoil's site at times. Great oil, the most over the top fanatical dealers I have ever met. I personally use RP in my cars.

But honestly, from my experience and seeing what my dad has seen at his shop for years and years and years, most decent oils (whether dino or synthetic) have proven just fine for very long engine lifes as long as the oil is changed like it should be, checked and kept full regularly and the rest of the car is maintained well.

I will say though, out of the potential (I say potential because it is hard to tell for sure sometimes due to the types of failures) oil issues I know of, more of them are from Penzoil (when talking about the major brands). But again, that is not solid data or proof.. just loose correlation.

I use synthetics, and by that I mean group IV or V, which out of the common brands I believe leaves it to RP and Amsoil these days. Even Mobile 1 (which is decent oil, but made of group III base stock) is only able to say they are full synth due to some very loose interpretations of the term.

Curious to see how G Oil turns out. I know that some race teams use it and that you can buy it in standard weights for street vehicles. Interested to see how it performs long term. They supposedly even have something you can mix it with when you dispose of it that effectively turns it into "soil" ... fully biodegradable. Interesting at least. Their race team just won the Long Beach Grand Prix this year too

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Former '05er

Garage

QUOTE (WannaBeBoosted @ Apr 28 2010, 07:49 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Apr 28 2010, 06:42 PM)
Quote:
Few actually have any data to back up their claims.[/b]
Thats what I've found about most people on this subject...
[/b][/quote]

Here's what I know for sure about Mobil 1 in my IS-F:

Here's what I know for sure about Mobil 1 in my IS350:

I run Red Line in my Supra and have been using Red Line since 1990 in a number of vehicles. What engi says about Amsoil dealers is right on the money. It's good oil, but man, they're worse than Amway. They also sell on an MLM scheme.

lance

'16 URL10L-FEZRHA Atomic Silver/Circuit Red
'08 USE20L−FEZRHA Obsidian/Black
'93 JZA80L-ALFVZA Alpine Silver/Black

Emotional Arguments - they're not just for chicks anymore.

Most performance mods need a watch and timed course to demonstrate actual improvement. Few deliver the advertised claims. Many are actually worse than stock. The best performance mods are made to the driver.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 PM
LED Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SquallLHeart

ENEOS has gotten a lot of popularity in the past few years. I haven't really used it myself.. but something to look into on top of the other brands mentioned.

So far Mobil-1 and Redline are the ones I use.
and while we're on the discussion.. I use Toyota oil filters.

your "friendly" ystc OG

There's "STRONG", and then there's "RETARD STRONG".
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Yeah I use Mobil-1 and mobil 1 oil filter also.

I <3 TrancE

I <3 my tC... OEM as F*ck

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM

I just recently changed the oil in my car and used Castrol Syntec only because that is what has been ran in it since it was new, Mobil 1 filter. I have an 08 metallic silver with 47k miles on it. I was wondering if anybody on here as ran zMax through theirs yet. We use it in our street rods and muscle cars.(66 fastback 289, 34 Chevy 3 window coupe 350) it works great in those and was thinking about running it through my tC.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Location: Phoenix, AZ, US, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth
Send a message via AIM to az tc Send a message via MSN to az tc Send a message via Yahoo to az tc

Give it a shot, I doubt it will do neither good nor harm, but let us know.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 PM

Followed the directions on the bottles we shall see.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page