Drag Racing/Tech Question - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Drag Racing/Tech Question

First off, been a while since I've posted on the forums - my apologies.

I couldn't decide where I wanted to post this question because it is in the form of tech, but is also directed towards people with drag racing experience in the tC.

I'm considering turning my attention to the tC for once. I was just curious, for those who are making some decent power and are hooking pretty well, what parts seem to be breaking first?

How well are CV shafts holding up and how well can the transmission take punishment? The car will still be my daily driver. So it has to be very reliable - but I enjoy a spirited pull or to, and I've been known to be rough on manual transmissions... not so much synchros, more hard on gears, input shafts, and output shafts...

2006 Scion tC - Intake/Exhaust
1989 Mustang - Turbocharged, Blow-thru, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Party Pat

The engine is mechanically sound at 300whp, once you start breaking the 350 barrier, you'll want to get solid motor mounts, deleting the balance shafts(should be done regardless if at 300whp).

If aiming towards 400+, new axles are highly suggested. our transmissions though are notorious for failing 4th gear in high power. ptuning is waiting on one more person for a down payment on a new gearset, I dont remember specifically, but its a different engagement and helical cut to keep noise down, and won't be prone to the oem failure.

p.s. all the standard F/I upgrades should be done, rods, bearings, low comp pistons etc. you can port/polish, F/I cams, oversized valves, sleeved etc to squeeze every last hp

RIP George a.k.a Suprman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Reaper; 07-21-2011 at 11:11 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

So just to clarify, with a stock 2AZ-FE with the common Intake/Exhaust mods I shouldn't have a major worry about breaking things just yet?

You are also stating that if I wanted to get serious about F/I, I ought to just buy another block to prep.

Has anyone had any major issues with wheel hop? If so what is the main cause of this? I know most FWD cars suffer from engine/trans rebound - so the fix usually involves solid mounts of some sort.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Party Pat

yeah, simple I/H/E shouldn't have a problem

you can keep with the same block if you want. If you got the cash, I'd definitely buy another block and do a fresh setup on that.

bluesciontc had bad problems with hop, I don't exactly remember what the situation was or if he was pre/post solid motor mount. But he was at a drag strip and wheel hopped hard enough to break something. It might've been the balance shafts as they are a weak point past a certain power level, but even then they'll go out regardless of hop

RIP George a.k.a Suprman

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM
O.G. Scionioner

Motor Mount bushings should be on the priority list. Straight Solid mounts I would stay away from. Especially with the way clutches are designed for the tC with the springs in the disc. Solid mounts will transfer vibration back into the engine and it's components. All that jarring causes failures within the drivetrain. Bushings still provide stiffness but are not going to be super harsh like solid mounts will.

Have not seen much if any balance shaft failures in stock motor tC's making 300+whp, so I wouldn't say they were weak. Our trans is solid, it's 4th gear that acts up in "race" conditions at 400+whp. Can you do some dyno pulls at 600, 700+whp...sure. Can you daily it with a bunch of power...sure. But in a race environment, it's 4th that's going to go on you.

Axles will break with poor driving. With proper driving, there are guys running low 12's and even into the 11's with stock axles. I'm on stock axles myself and doing road course/HPDE days with a GT3076R @ 11lbs of boost.

O. G.

Sponsors: PTuning

Built Motor coming in 2013

It isnt the tires squealing....Its the pavement begging for mercy..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke View Post
Motor Mount bushings should be on the priority list. Straight Solid mounts I would stay away from. Especially with the way clutches are designed for the tC with the springs in the disc. Solid mounts will transfer vibration back into the engine and it's components. All that jarring causes failures within the drivetrain. Bushings still provide stiffness but are not going to be super harsh like solid mounts will.

Have not seen much if any balance shaft failures in stock motor tC's making 300+whp, so I wouldn't say they were weak. Our trans is solid, it's 4th gear that acts up in "race" conditions at 400+whp. Can you do some dyno pulls at 600, 700+whp...sure. Can you daily it with a bunch of power...sure. But in a race environment, it's 4th that's going to go on you.

Axles will break with poor driving. With proper driving, there are guys running low 12's and even into the 11's with stock axles. I'm on stock axles myself and doing road course/HPDE days with a GT3076R @ 11lbs of boost.
Great info. Thank you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page