How to make New keys and remotes work? - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How to make New keys and remotes work?

So I have a 07, when I got it from the mom and pop dealer the cheap asses only had one key with the keyless entry. I found blank keys with the transponders (no keyless buttons) for $12 on ebay, and i've seen that Walmart sells and programs keys for toyotas. I've been told they only charge a few bucks and will program the key for free. Anyone try this before?

Another question, ebay sells some blank keys with the keyless buttons for $40, does anyone know how to program the buttons? Reading the description it says it come with instructions on how to program but I'm wondering if anyone has ever ordered one and tried it. Thanks for any feedback .

2007 Scion TC Release 3.0 #1250 of 2500
2005 yamaha R6 red/blk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

those would need to be cut, and then programmed at the dealer.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP George James aka Suprman 9/20/2011
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
those would need to be cut, and then programmed at the dealer.
So the ones they sell at walmart for $60 that say they fit scion's that can be cut and programmed will not work?

2005 yamaha R6 red/blk

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Ignorance-intolerant

Reprogramming the buttons is doable. It involve some serious door opening and shutting and key putting-in-and-outting. It's really complex but doable. You can google for the result.

As for getting the chip programmed correctly, that's a tough one. I'm not sure if the Walmart route would work. You can always find out if they've got a guarantee and if it doesn't work make sure to get your money back. They'd have to program the key to the one that you already have for the car.

<<Click for old tC Pic Thread
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Scion Guru

like the others said... basically, there's 2 parts to the factory key:

1: keyless remote (buttons that can easily be programmed to lock/unlock the car)
2: transponder chip (chip inside the remote that sends a signal to ignition/ecu that activates the fuel system so the car will start)

if you only have #1, then you can use the key to remotely lock/unlock the car, but the key will not start the car. most blanks that are bought for cheap online do not come with a transponder chip, and if they do, you'll need that chip coded to work with your car. this is what the dealer will need to do for you. you can program the lock/unlock functions yourself, but you won't be able to use the key to start the car until the dealer properly codes the new chip.

here's how to program your remote: 2007 Scion TC - Free Keyless Remote Fob Entry programming instructions, procedures for all automotive vehicles

did you get a plain/valet key, or just the 1 keyless remote key? if you do have the valet key and don't mind trashing it, then you can pull the transponder chip from that one and put it in your new/blank keyless remote. i got the black keyless remote with the Toyota logo on the back from ebay for like $10 because my old 2005 Scion remotes had worn buttons and the remote itself was cracked. the black toyota remotes have better buttons that don't wear like the rubber scion ones do. I had a locksmith cut the new key, then I just cut out the transponders from the scion keys and inserted them into the toyota remotes. worked perfect for me. you can find shells (no chip) on ebay for as cheap as $4 shipped.

here's a video on how to get the chip out of a valet key:
Transponder Chip Key Bypass How To For Any Car! - YouTube
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Scion Guru

oh, and if you need a transponder chip, don't pay dealer prices. you can buy new blank valet keys with a new chip on ebay as well for ~$10. swap that chip into a new cheap blank keyless remote from ebay for $4, have a locksmith cut the key, program the lock/unlock functions yourself and then have the dealer code the new chip.

labor for the coding likely won't be cheap, but the rest of it will be. if you buy a new chip from the dealer and have them program it, then you're looking at spending at least $200 to buy the new chip/key and have it programmed by them. you'll cut that cost in half if all they have to do is code what you bring them.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlejack13 View Post
Reprogramming the buttons is doable. It involve some serious door opening and shutting and key putting-in-and-outting. It's really complex but doable. You can google for the result.

As for getting the chip programmed correctly, that's a tough one. I'm not sure if the Walmart route would work. You can always find out if they've got a guarantee and if it doesn't work make sure to get your money back. They'd have to program the key to the one that you already have for the car.
Yea, thats why I bought a $12 key without the buttons but with the chip in it, to see if walmart can in fact program it. If not, so what I waste a total of $15 . If it works, then I think its time to try a $40 key with buttons and a chip and see if they can get that sucker to work lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
like the others said... basically, there's 2 parts to the factory key:

1: keyless remote (buttons that can easily be programmed to lock/unlock the car)
2: transponder chip (chip inside the remote that sends a signal to ignition/ecu that activates the fuel system so the car will start)

if you only have #1, then you can use the key to remotely lock/unlock the car, but the key will not start the car. most blanks that are bought for cheap online do not come with a transponder chip, and if they do, you'll need that chip coded to work with your car. this is what the dealer will need to do for you. you can program the lock/unlock functions yourself, but you won't be able to use the key to start the car until the dealer properly codes the new chip.

here's how to program your remote: 2007 Scion TC - Free Keyless Remote Fob Entry programming instructions, procedures for all automotive vehicles

did you get a plain/valet key, or just the 1 keyless remote key? if you do have the valet key and don't mind trashing it, then you can pull the transponder chip from that one and put it in your new/blank keyless remote. i got the black keyless remote with the Toyota logo on the back from ebay for like $10 because my old 2005 Scion remotes had worn buttons and the remote itself was cracked. the black toyota remotes have better buttons that don't wear like the rubber scion ones do. I had a locksmith cut the new key, then I just cut out the transponders from the scion keys and inserted them into the toyota remotes. worked perfect for me. you can find shells (no chip) on ebay for as cheap as $4 shipped.

here's a video on how to get the chip out of a valet key:
Transponder Chip Key Bypass How To For Any Car! - YouTube
You are the man! thanks for the links, Like I said above i'm willing to spend a little to test walmarts abilities and report back to you asap. I should be getting the key in the mail by next monday. What I got when i bought the car is a gray key with buttons. Its works fine, I just always like to have a spare in my wallet (i've locked myself out of vehicles a few times ) and it would be nice to have a spare key with buttons for the keyless feature.

2005 yamaha R6 red/blk

Last edited by release_me3.0; 10-02-2013 at 08:15 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Need help..lost blade to my 06 tc key

So my key has had the same problem that everybody seems to have with the stock 06 tc key. Mine has been cracked near the blade for about a year so I have been using gorilla, electrical, and duct tape to keep the remains of my key intact. Up until this past Sunday it was working just fun. During the day I went to get in my car and as I went to unlatch my keys from my belt I noticed the blade of the key which is inserted into the fob was no longer there. Its been a week now and I am more than sure that it is long gone. So without the blade of the key I cannot get a key cut by a locksmith. However, I called the dealership and they are trying to charge me upwards of $180 to get a key with a chip in it, cut a new key with valid proof of vehicle ownership which they say they can match to my car #? (Not sure what that means) Along with a half hours labor to program the new chip in the key. Is there any other route to go which may end up being cheaper? Please let me know !!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

That sounds about right from Toyota.

My car came with a tag on the keys that they said they could use if I lost both keys (it comes with 2 remote keys and valet new). Without that, I am not sure they can cut a key to fit without one of the originals. In that case it is a new ignition switch, which on most cars is much much harder to remove without the key, but you can do it. However, my guess by what they told you is that they can look it up by VIN # as long as you show them proof of ownership .. aka your title with your name on it and some ID.

The last time I looked, a new key with FOB listed anywhere between $40 (and no idea if it would work since it was aftermarket I think) and $140 for one from Toyota.

You can find a cheaper one and have them program it, but there are some floating around out there that do not seem to ever work from what I hear.

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 AM

Now a days, most cars have remote keys and those keys are programmed in order to synchronize the car's door locks properly.If some how you lost your car key, you need not to go the dealer as it cost you more.You can buy a key go to the locksmith and program it and they will cost you very less as compared to the dealer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page