Wheel bearing noise? How check? - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow

2005 tC. 5 speed, 134,000 mostly gently miles. Over years, car gets gradually noisier, most noticable around 40 mph. Sound is minor growl, roar, low pitch whine sort of sound. NOT related to engine speed, trans gear, left/right turning, acceleration or cruise. It is related to speed, gets drowned out by wind and engine hum above 60mph or so. Can be heard as low as about 20mph.

Dealer suggested it's real wheel bearings. (Dealer cost part & Labor $652 each) Dealer suggested I could feel roughness by spinning wheel. Tried spinning both rears by hand- feels very smooth, no play. I do hear slight rubbing sound- that I think is slight brake pad- that is normal- ? Tried spinning both fronts. Also very smooth and no play. More noise than rears, mostly slight sound from axle shaft bearings?

If this is wheel bearings, anyone have luck with aftermarket shops?

Thanks, ronlock <_<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Where is Donnie?

I had my front right wheel bearing go out and it sounded exactly as you describe. I too was told to spin the wheel and I would feel it. I did not. It was under warranty so they took it apart and sure enough it was the bearing. No idea about aftermarket shops for that kind of thing. I'm sure any garage can do the change, just a matter of finding a good price.

2011 Subaru STi DD/Track Monster | Eibach ProKit+ | Cobb Tuning Downpipe | Ark Grip Cat-back Exhaust | Deatschwerks 65C | Protune
Moroso 2-Stage Catch-cans | Advan RZ 18x9 +45 | Yokohama Advan 255/35/18 | SuperTone! | Tint | White Satin Pearl

2003 Lexus IS300 Sport Design | 5-MT | Thundercloud Metallic

RIP Suprman133 4/26/88 - 9/20/11
#3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Gynecomastia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i was told that i need to get mine replace too. but here is something to start with.

pepboys told me 400+ for the repair

where are you located?

BEST EXHAUST!!
BEST INTAKE!!
BEST SPRING, TIRES, etc...
BEST POWER GAINER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by engifineer View Post
lol .... at 15 yrs of age ... it may be a nice break ....
Calm down people ... we are just kidding ... I would track his little butt down and drag it back home !
#4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
FLD w/ H8

Take the wheel off and spin the hub, you can feel the bearing much better this way. Mine currently had a flat on it, nothing major but does hum on the highway.
The rears are like 150 cuz they include the hub assembly, fronts are only like 50. Diy requires you to take apart the drum E-brake in the back which sucks. thats why labor is redic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Vask @ Jun 7 2010, 11:52 AM)
Quote:
Take the wheel off and spin the hub, you can feel the bearing much better this way. Mine currently had a flat on it, nothing major but does hum on the highway.
The rears are like 150 cuz they include the hub assembly, fronts are only like 50. Diy requires you to take apart the drum E-brake in the back which sucks. thats why labor is redic.[/b]
Thanks for the replies -
I did take wheels off rear, could not feel anything with or without wheels on.
I did not take wheels off front, so could try that.
So far, it looks like a crap shoot on which one to replace.

Any further thoughts appreciated.

ronlock
South New Jersey.
(former 409 Chevy 4sp, dual quad drag racer)
#6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 PM

I was recently told my front right wheel bearing was bad and needed to be replaced. I do believe my wheel bearing needs to be replaced but not my front right one, my front left one.

The noise is coming from the left and when I turn left the noise is reduced a lot. The part is about 56 bucks but the labor is 300!!!!

So, I want to try and do it myself, does anyone know what tools I will need, and specifically how to do it for the TC. I know its difficult but i dont have 300 bucks!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Arrow

QUOTE (inbrakeible @ Jun 11 2010, 02:27 PM)
Quote:
I was recently told my front right wheel bearing was bad and needed to be replaced. I do believe my wheel bearing needs to be replaced but not my front right one, my front left one.

The noise is coming from the left and when I turn left the noise is reduced a lot. The part is about 56 bucks but the labor is 300!!!!

So, I want to try and do it myself, does anyone know what tools I will need, and specifically how to do it for the TC. I know its difficult but i dont have 300 bucks!!![/b]

A tire shop diagnosed my noise as right front bearing, and quoted about $380 to fix, plus 4recommended an $80 alignment. They had the part in stock. Dealership "guessed" at rear bearing, and if so, about $650. I plan to let them do proper diagnoses.

ronlock
2005 tC (started this thread)
#8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM

QUOTE (ronlock @ Jun 15 2010, 09:13 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (inbrakeible @ Jun 11 2010, 02:27 PM)
Quote:

So, I want to try and do it myself, does anyone know what tools I will need, and specifically how to do it for the TC. I know its difficult but i dont have 300 bucks!!![/b]

A tire shop diagnosed my noise as right front bearing, and quoted about $380 to fix, plus 4recommended an $80 alignment. They had the part in stock. Dealership "guessed" at rear bearing, and if so, about $650. I plan to let them do proper diagnoses.

ronlock
2005 tC (started this thread)
[/b][/quote]
#9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 AM

Rather than starting a new post on the same subject I figured I'd just post it here, does anyone have a how to on replacing the front bearings? I'm pretty certain they are toast in my girls tC which is sad at ~20k miles. I'm downloading the 05 service manual that was linked in the other thread but I figured I'd ask if anyone has first hand experience and maybe some tips on replacing them. Thanks much.

Also, any preferred source for purchasing? I've found some that range from 30-55, are they all OEM, some cheap knockoffs? Is there any that are upgraded and will last longer?

AJ Latteri
05 Toyota Tundra - DD/work/tow
06 Lotus Exige Time Attack and track car -vids-
06 Scion tC - my girls car
#10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Ignorance-intolerant

At around 20K wheel bearings shouldn't be the issue.

<<Click for old tC Pic Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page