Wheel bearing noise? How check? - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow

2005 tC. 5 speed, 134,000 mostly gently miles. Over years, car gets gradually noisier, most noticable around 40 mph. Sound is minor growl, roar, low pitch whine sort of sound. NOT related to engine speed, trans gear, left/right turning, acceleration or cruise. It is related to speed, gets drowned out by wind and engine hum above 60mph or so. Can be heard as low as about 20mph.

Dealer suggested it's real wheel bearings. (Dealer cost part & Labor $652 each) Dealer suggested I could feel roughness by spinning wheel. Tried spinning both rears by hand- feels very smooth, no play. I do hear slight rubbing sound- that I think is slight brake pad- that is normal- ? Tried spinning both fronts. Also very smooth and no play. More noise than rears, mostly slight sound from axle shaft bearings?

If this is wheel bearings, anyone have luck with aftermarket shops?

Thanks, ronlock <_<
ronlock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Where is Donnie?
 
undesired_efx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 13,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

I had my front right wheel bearing go out and it sounded exactly as you describe. I too was told to spin the wheel and I would feel it. I did not. It was under warranty so they took it apart and sure enough it was the bearing. No idea about aftermarket shops for that kind of thing. I'm sure any garage can do the change, just a matter of finding a good price.




2011 Subaru STi DD/Track Monster | Eibach ProKit+ | Cobb Tuning Downpipe | Ark Grip Cat-back Exhaust | Deatschwerks 65C | Protune
Moroso 2-Stage Catch-cans | Advan RZ 18x9 +45 | Yokohama Advan 255/35/18 | SuperTone! | Tint | White Satin Pearl

2003 Lexus IS300 Sport Design | 5-MT | Thundercloud Metallic


RIP Suprman133 4/26/88 - 9/20/11
undesired_efx is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Gynecomastia
 
bugalking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LA Trick!
Posts: 5,944
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

i was told that i need to get mine replace too. but here is something to start with.

pepboys told me 400+ for the repair

where are you located?


BEST EXHAUST!!
BEST INTAKE!!
BEST SPRING, TIRES, etc...
BEST POWER GAINER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by engifineer View Post
lol .... at 15 yrs of age ... it may be a nice break ....
Calm down people ... we are just kidding ... I would track his little butt down and drag it back home !
bugalking is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
FLD w/ H8
 
vask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Phili area, PA
Posts: 3,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Take the wheel off and spin the hub, you can feel the bearing much better this way. Mine currently had a flat on it, nothing major but does hum on the highway.
The rears are like 150 cuz they include the hub assembly, fronts are only like 50. Diy requires you to take apart the drum E-brake in the back which sucks. thats why labor is redic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
vask is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

QUOTE (Vask @ Jun 7 2010, 11:52 AM)
Quote:
Take the wheel off and spin the hub, you can feel the bearing much better this way. Mine currently had a flat on it, nothing major but does hum on the highway.
The rears are like 150 cuz they include the hub assembly, fronts are only like 50. Diy requires you to take apart the drum E-brake in the back which sucks. thats why labor is redic.[/b]
Thanks for the replies -
I did take wheels off rear, could not feel anything with or without wheels on.
I did not take wheels off front, so could try that.
So far, it looks like a crap shoot on which one to replace.

Any further thoughts appreciated.

ronlock
South New Jersey.
(former 409 Chevy 4sp, dual quad drag racer)
ronlock is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

I was recently told my front right wheel bearing was bad and needed to be replaced. I do believe my wheel bearing needs to be replaced but not my front right one, my front left one.

The noise is coming from the left and when I turn left the noise is reduced a lot. The part is about 56 bucks but the labor is 300!!!!

So, I want to try and do it myself, does anyone know what tools I will need, and specifically how to do it for the TC. I know its difficult but i dont have 300 bucks!!!
inbrakeible is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow

QUOTE (inbrakeible @ Jun 11 2010, 02:27 PM)
Quote:
I was recently told my front right wheel bearing was bad and needed to be replaced. I do believe my wheel bearing needs to be replaced but not my front right one, my front left one.

The noise is coming from the left and when I turn left the noise is reduced a lot. The part is about 56 bucks but the labor is 300!!!!

So, I want to try and do it myself, does anyone know what tools I will need, and specifically how to do it for the TC. I know its difficult but i dont have 300 bucks!!![/b]

A tire shop diagnosed my noise as right front bearing, and quoted about $380 to fix, plus 4recommended an $80 alignment. They had the part in stock. Dealership "guessed" at rear bearing, and if so, about $650. I plan to let them do proper diagnoses.

ronlock
2005 tC (started this thread)
ronlock is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

QUOTE (ronlock @ Jun 15 2010, 09:13 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (inbrakeible @ Jun 11 2010, 02:27 PM)
Quote:
I was recently told my front right wheel bearing was bad and needed to be replaced. I do believe my wheel bearing needs to be replaced but not my front right one, my front left one.

The noise is coming from the left and when I turn left the noise is reduced a lot. The part is about 56 bucks but the labor is 300!!!!

So, I want to try and do it myself, does anyone know what tools I will need, and specifically how to do it for the TC. I know its difficult but i dont have 300 bucks!!![/b]

A tire shop diagnosed my noise as right front bearing, and quoted about $380 to fix, plus 4recommended an $80 alignment. They had the part in stock. Dealership "guessed" at rear bearing, and if so, about $650. I plan to let them do proper diagnoses.

ronlock
2005 tC (started this thread)
[/b][/quote]
ronlock is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Rather than starting a new post on the same subject I figured I'd just post it here, does anyone have a how to on replacing the front bearings? I'm pretty certain they are toast in my girls tC which is sad at ~20k miles. I'm downloading the 05 service manual that was linked in the other thread but I figured I'd ask if anyone has first hand experience and maybe some tips on replacing them. Thanks much.

Also, any preferred source for purchasing? I've found some that range from 30-55, are they all OEM, some cheap knockoffs? Is there any that are upgraded and will last longer?

AJ Latteri
05 Toyota Tundra - DD/work/tow
06 Lotus Exige Time Attack and track car -vids-
06 Scion tC - my girls car
ZJChaser is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Ignorance-intolerant
 
Candlejack13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monroe, MI
Posts: 7,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

At around 20K wheel bearings shouldn't be the issue.

<<Click for old tC Pic Thread
Candlejack13 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome