Replace Key and Key fob (best way)? - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I recently purchased a salvaged Scion TC I'm working on repairing. The car did not come with keys or key fob. What would be the best (hopefully cheapest) way to get a key and keyfob for the car? My assumption is that the key may have to be purchased through the dealer. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Send a message via AIM to neo-truth

You might be able to purchase one on eBay. If you buy through your dealer it will probably cost $100+ per key. Then again, they probably have to cut the key and program the remote anyways, so who knows.

[b]iPod Stereo + Alta Antenna + Blue LED Bulb Swap[/i]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM

If the tC's/Scion/Toyota is anything like Ford, then you will have to get them from the dealership. I work at a Ford dealership and the key itself will have to be cut and programmed, then the key fob will get programmed.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Garage
Send a message via AIM to indemnity83 Send a message via MSN to indemnity83 Send a message via Yahoo to indemnity83

Once you've got new keys that work, you'll have to add them to your ECU, you should probably clear out the old key records too, so below are those two steps.

To erase all remotes and add new ones:

Start with the key out of the car, driver's door open and unlocked.

1.Insert key in ignition and pull out
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and pull out again.
3. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
4. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF twice, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.
6. Remove the key from the ignition lock.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves twice, indicating that you are in rewrite mode.

7. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.
8. Within 3 seconds, press either switch and release.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once if the registration was successful. They will lock and unlock twice if the registration failed.

9. If you have other remotes to program, go back to step 7 within 40 seconds.
10. Insert the key in the ignition or open a door to complete registration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 PM

I purchased a new key from the dealer, had them cut it, then did those steps up above (Add new remove) to program the new key.

It will open the doors but it won't start the engine.

How do I program the key to work with the immobilizer?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 06:36 AM
LED Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SquallLHeart

that's where you NEED to go to the dealership and spend the hundred or so bucks for the right key.

you can program the keyless fine... as mentioned in the steps above..... but the immobilizer chip is something your wallet's gonna have to suffer regardless of what you try to do.

they'll need to look up your VIN and get the key made for you... no way to cheap out there.

your "friendly" ystc OG

There's "STRONG", and then there's "RETARD STRONG".
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the reply.

When I ordered the key, the guy behind the counter said to bring the little metal tag that came on the key ring the next time I came back. It's a 5 digit code. So I came back, he cut the key, I showed him my tag, and asked if he would program the key. He gave me some excuse saying that didn't have to be done. So I went home, programmed the key using those steps up above, and it still won't start the engine.

So what are they going to do now? Program the Key? Or program the immobilizer in the car?
There has to be someone out there who knows how this is done. Unless they're doing it with a computer hooked up.

The next time I get the oil changed, I'll ask the service guy if he'll do it. I already spent $177 on the key itself. This is a freaking rip off if I have to pay an hour of labor to program the immobilizer. I'll fail them on the survey if they charge me 1 hour of time for that.

QUOTE (SquallLHeart @ Jan 24 2008, 03:36 AM)
Quote:
that's where you NEED to go to the dealership and spend the hundred or so bucks for the right key.

you can program the keyless fine... as mentioned in the steps above..... but the immobilizer chip is something your wallet's gonna have to suffer regardless of what you try to do.

they'll need to look up your VIN and get the key made for you... no way to cheap out there.[/b]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:13 PM

The dealer sent me a survey. I called the service adviser and said I had a survey and asked about programming the key.

He said they have a computer that programs the immobilizer. I asked how much it was to do this, he said $60. I asked how much a perfectly filled out survey is worth. He laughed and said it's not that much. He didn't answer my question but said to come in.

So to everyone reading this, there are 3 steps to getting a key.
1. Buy the key and have the dealer cut it ($177)
2. Program the key to open the doors (steps up above work for this, but not the immobilizer)
3. Have the dealer program the key for the immobilizer. ($60) See if you can "work something out" by having a blank survey in hand, after getting an oil change. For those who didn't have work done on your car first, then you have no leverage and have to pay.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rustysurfer916

or if you really wanna bust out the wallet get a whole new EMS and ignition system. im sure the key will work then lol.

2 JL 12w6's, alpine PDX 1.1000 amp, pioneer primear 780, 5 percent tint, hks hi-power axelback, 18x8 inch tork champion gloss black rims w/ chrome lip wrapped in 235/40/18 BFG kdw's (awesome tire in rain), clear/black led taillights, k&n high flow air filter, ingalls stiffy torque damper.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 AM

Well, the service adviser didn't want to work with me. I went there, and he offered to give me a whopping $10 off, to make it $50 to program the immobilizer. I was frustrated and decided to leave. I went home and filled out the survey honestly, which means it wasn't perfect. In the comments box I said that charging people $60 to program a key after they paid $177 for the key itself is a joke.

Yes, I realize someone has to take the car in, and a tech has to program it. Maybe I can work something out at the next oil change.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page