Check Engine Light ON.. Gas cap? - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down

So my 05 tC CEL came on a day after I filled gas.. I took it to an autozone they checked it for FREE (the dealership was going to charge 90 bucks!) and they told me it could be the gas cap.. So I tightened it.. Any idea how long it will take for the light to turn off? I'm wondering if it's something more serious.. they gave me the code for the problem (P0455)

I hope this isnt going to cost me much or anything at all..

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated..

05 Silver Streak Mica bought on Nov 22,2004 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

The light will go off after it self checks successfully enough times if it is the gas cap. But the way to turn it off right away is to pull the negative battery cable for a minute or two and put it back on.

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response.. I really do hope it's just the gas cap and nothing serious.. You think driving 25 miles should do it? for the light to reset it self? or no?

05 Silver Streak Mica bought on Nov 22,2004 Automatic

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Destroyer of Cones

The ECU typically works on "trips" which include startup, driving so far, stopping, etc. I cant say exactly how long, but it should be going off pretty soon.

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Send a message via AIM to buderic

Quickest way is to disconnect negative battery cable, touch said cable to positive cable/terminal. This may sound completely retarded and you will short circuit every system, but you do not. No sparks even happen. I have used this on my dad's lexus and my tC to reset CEL that I know were from leaving things accidentally unplugged.

Eric

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"What a Ride!!!"

<---mr2slow
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 03:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to alas

They can erase the code at autozone for free also. Just take the thing and after it reads push erase. I did this literally last week. I was shitting bricks wondering wtf I did to my car too..lol.

-Ericson

QUOTE (Engifineer)
Quote:
If you are all against domestics, all against imports all against honda, toyota, etc, you are not a car enthusiast, you are a brand loyal "tuner"
I prefer to be an enthusiast and enjoy many types of cars.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Just got a p137 code
secondary O2 sensor.. so my override doesn't work still. sucks.

good thing i have the Scangauge :-p

My
- My

RIP George James aka Suprman 9/20/2011
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Destroyer of Cones

You dont need to touch the negative cable to the positive post. A few minutes with the neg cable removed does it every time.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to buderic

QUOTE (engifineer @ Dec 9 2007, 12:41 PM)
Quote:
You dont need to touch the negative cable to the positive post. A few minutes with the neg cable removed does it every time.[/b]
Just saying that is the fastest way to do it. It completely erases all memory the ECU has.

Eric

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"What a Ride!!!"

<---mr2slow
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM

QUOTE (ALaS @ Dec 9 2007, 12:15 AM)
Quote:
They can erase the code at autozone for free also. Just take the thing and after it reads push erase. I did this literally last week. I was shitting bricks wondering wtf I did to my car too..lol.[/b]
Instead of erasing it, I rather scan it and find out what the problem is. If you don't think it's serious, I would reset the ecu in any fashion and just see if the cel comes back on.

RIP G

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page