User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 AM
In George I Trust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to tCTech

I'm throwing this thread up on this site from over on ScionLife. Some people may find it very useful. Giving credit to where credit is due, The_Instigator is the member that posted this on ScionLife. I will be removing from his thread the personalized SL touch. We don't need that here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tools needed:

socket wrench
1 1/16" socket
10" extension for said socket

The tC trans is interesting since the "fill" plug is parallell to the ground and quite low on the car making filling very tricky. The best way around this is to use one of the other plugs on the tranny that just so happen to be on top of the case within easy reach. The reason I am starting the DIY with this step is that you want to make sure you can get fluid back into the trans BEFORE you drain it. Nothing is worse than draining the fluid only realizing you have just stranded yourself since you cant get any fluid back in. The easiet place to refill the tranny from is through the reverse sensor on the top of the trans case located here:

You will need a 1&1/16" socket and a 10" extension in order to get this out easily. I also found that removing the bracket located nearby made getting to everything a lot easier:

You can see how much more room there is with the bracket and wiring moved away:

Remove the plug and loosen the sensor but dont remove it completely yet. Go ahead and snug it back down for the time being. This step is just to make sure you will be able to refill the tranny with fluid.

Now comes time to drain the old fluid. I made the mistake of removing the reverse sensor first which let air flow easily into the tranny form above and was greeted with thick smelly and slimy trans fluid gushing out from the drain plug. By leaving the fill plugs closed, the fluid will come out much slower saving you many many paper towels and gallons of Simple Green.

Unscrew and remove the drain plug circled in green to get the stock fluid out and into a drain pan:

After your fluid has drained, reinstall and tighten the drain plug.

While you are under the car, go ahead and remove the "fill" plug circled in red in the picture from above. We will be filling the fluid from the top of the car but by having the fill plug out, we can guarantee we wont be overfilling the trans. When fluid starts coming out of the fill plug, you know you are good to go.

Go back to the top of the car and remove the reverse sensor and put it somewhere safe. Use a long funnel and fill the tranny with the new fluid. I used just under 3 full bottles of Redline MT90 before I had fluid come out of the "fill" plug.

After the tranny is full of new synthetic fluid goodness, tighten everything back up and make sure your reverse sensor is plugged in. If not, your reverse lights wont come when you are in reverse.

As always, be sure to use jack stands when working under the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Obsessed

Very nice tech. Sticky this so it will be easy to find in the future

Tech your so informative and full of awesome. LOL

Don't do anything I wouldn't enjoy.
<span style="font-family:Times New Roman">Current mods - 15% tint, Doctor Isotopes 2" Short Shifter.
Future mods - 5axis molded lip kit/blue interior LED's with Engifineer LED gauge and HVAC swap/mobileHID HID kit/Wheels and Tires/Oznium blue accent cathodes in floor wells and under seats/tunabe Concept G or Megan Drift spec exhaust(haven't decided yet).

#3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks tech
#4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 AM
In George I Trust

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tCTech

It's no problem guys, but I just copy pasta'd this. I'm not going to take credit for the work the original poster did to make this post possible. You want to thank someone, head on over to SL and thank the original guy. I'm just spreading his/her work.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 PM

hey i have a problem you said you use a 16mm socket wrench i dont get how you unscrew the sensor the screw is really big and also for the tranmssion what size are those screws?
#6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Scion Guru

Send a message via AIM to blackcherry07 Send a message via Yahoo to blackcherry07

QUOTE (shinjitsu @ Nov 30 2008, 01:58 PM)
Quote:
hey i have a problem you said you use a 16mm socket wrench i dont get how you unscrew the sensor the screw is really big and also for the tranmssion what size are those screws?[/b]

no buddy that is 1-1/16th inch socket...
#7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 PM

hey guys,

newbie to working on his car. i was trying to remove the drain plug to the transmission but i'm stuck. my socket wrench wont fit in that tight spot. my adjustable wrench wont catch on the bolt. i need some help and advice if anyone has any. i know it may sound stupid but im trying to learn. thanks everyone.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Scion Guru

Send a message via AIM to blackcherry07 Send a message via Yahoo to blackcherry07

QUOTE (dnaval4684 @ Jan 13 2009, 09:37 PM)
Quote:
hey guys,

newbie to working on his car. i was trying to remove the drain plug to the transmission but i'm stuck. my socket wrench wont fit in that tight spot. my adjustable wrench wont catch on the bolt. i need some help and advice if anyone has any. i know it may sound stupid but im trying to learn. thanks everyone.[/b]
use a standard box wrench or something...i would bet it is 12 or 14mm so get one of those....
#9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 05:14 PM

IS this an automatic tC or 5-speed. My wife drives an auto tC and I would like to know if anything is different. Hopefully not, seems easy enough. Thanks.

07 Black Sand Pearl TRD
#10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Send a message via AIM to buderic

QUOTE (kyledye25 @ Sep 26 2009, 04:14 PM)
Quote:
IS this an automatic tC or 5-speed. My wife drives an auto tC and I would like to know if anything is different. Hopefully not, seems easy enough. Thanks.[/b]
Extremely different. Auto fluid is good for AT LEAST 60k. Most new trannys have either world standard or Toyota T-IV, which is normally good for 100+k. Unsure of what the tC has but my guess is T-IV.

Eric

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"What a Ride!!!"

MR2 Thread<---mr2slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page