Scion tC Forums banner

Getting new springs

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  engifineer 
#1 ·
Wanting to drop my car somewhere between an inch and a half and two inches. I am thinking about using the TRD springs. Does anyone have any suggestions on springs? Also, should I replace my struts as well or can I just replace the springs? I have been told both ways, so just looking for answers.

#2 ·
What year model?

On the first gen, the TRD springs drop it about 1.25 inches. You do not need to swap the struts on them. The stocks perform just fine. However, if you have many miles on the stock struts, then I would just go ahead and replace them while the car is apart. No sense in replacing the springs, then having to take it apart and replace the struts a short while later. For reference, I put TRDs on my car at about 15k and drove it that way until about 80k I think. The struts were going then, but I swapped out to coilovers.

Some helpful advice if you swap them yourself. People will tell you that you need to remove the rear interior to get to the bolts for the rear struts. That is not true. You need to cut a small hole in the rear carpeted panel above one bolt (it is very apparent when you are working on it) and that is it. Otherwise you just have to remove the foam storage areas, and unbolt and remove the spring loaded cover and tie down hooks behind the rear seats. The part you cut a hole in is never visible when the car is together and causes no issues. Makes the rear struts about 30 min less to do and you dont wear out and break clips removing panels :)

I still have my TRD springs and rear sway bar from my first gen. Some minor surface rust (Which I am thinking of sanding and priming just because) but otherwise perfectly fine. I am thinking of selling those and some other random parts since I am dumping some money into the S2000 build for autocross. so if you decide to buy hit me up and we can maybe make a deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.