Brakes, Calipers, Wheel Barrings, or CV Joints?? - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Reign27 Send a message via Yahoo to Reign27
Question Brakes, Calipers, Wheel Barrings, or CV Joints??

Ok, so long story summarized. I ran on almost completely bald tires for a month, got them replaced with Eagle Authority (Crap tire btw), after replacement, my steering wheel vibrated horribly. Had them rebalanced.. Still vibrates. Assuming my wheel alignment is off. (no biggie scheduled to get realigned).

My problem is this HORRIBLE grinding like noise that I hear off and on. It started about 2 days ago and has progressively gotten worse. At first I thought it was the tires, all 4 are no more than 2 months old. The sounds wasn't so much grinding when it started it was more like one of those machines that mills/shaves metal. Very light sound, off and on. It didn't seem speed related but DID seem to occur after using my brakes (and during, sometimes). (if anyone has crossed a metal grate bridge, take away the tire noise and that echoy hollowey noise thats left is the noise it made) (almost a ships horn).

By the time I got home this morning, it was obnoxiously loud and very much sounding like a grind. And still seems brake connected. As in it occurred while/after using my brakes and if I'd drive for a while the noise stopped until I came into a turn and had to use my brakes or took the turn a bit to fast. What I don't get is it didn't do this every time I used my brakes or every turn I went into. (seemed to favor sharper turns) I have a hard left into my driveway and it grinded then, but once out of the turn it still grinded seemed louder when my brakes were applied but not sure.

I don't know how to fix ANY of this, but would like a heads up so when I take it to a garage they don't try to screw me because I'm female and know diddly squat...

If it's my brakes I know I'm short on time, but if it's the wheel barrings, how long till they seize up? Will I even make it to a garage?

Reign

2007 Scion tC Azure Pearl
Stock working on upgrades.. Ideas?
(Not to expensive working on a budget here, send'em on over.
I'm game to try anything and if I can't my mechanic can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page