Check engine light turned on... - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
tC Freak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Check engine light turned on...

So yesterday I start my car up and the CEL light lit up. The first thing I did was check the gas cap. It seemed like it was on tight but I unscrewed it and put it on again to be certain. Engine seems to be running fine. So today I went to pep boys to get the codes. The code read outs are as follows:

P0441 (evap control system purge flow fault)

P0455 (evap system large leak)

The technician said it should be fine to drive the car with these codes and that it will just release vapors into the atmosphere. I would obviously like to get a second opinion from all of you. Thanks!

|2006 NBM tC w/ 5spd transmission|TRD Lowering Springs|HKS Exhaust|Metallic blue Spyder Intake |TRD Front Strut Tie bar |TRD Rear Sway bar|Pioneer Electronics Aftermarket Audio System with Rockford Fosgate 250W sub AMP with Kicker sub and Planet Audio 1600W speaker AMP|7000K HIDs w/Blue tint|Eagle GT 225/45 Tires|

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:22 PM
tC Freak

if you want to reset the ECU take the negative battery terminal off for 15seconds
re-install then drive the car for awhile to see what happens
(you`ll need to reset your windows/moon roof also

Xbox360 Gamertag "EUPHORIAN" add me- Apple = FAIL !
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 AM

change your oil. in my experience, that has been the major cause of every check engine light ive ever had. ive even had dealerships and aftermarket shops tell me that the check engine light only turns on because of the oil. as for the codes, ive never experienced any of them personally... but check this out.
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

^that would be maintenance required light not CEL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:39 PM
LED Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SquallLHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxmichaeldxX View Post
change your oil. in my experience, that has been the major cause of every check engine light ive ever had. ive even had dealerships and aftermarket shops tell me that the check engine light only turns on because of the oil.
wow. you could not be any more wrong.

the low oil pressure light would turn on, and your engine would blow up before your CEL would turn on, if it was oil related.

well.. after the engine blows up.. yea.. the light will turn on then.
CEL and oil? eh... not really.

your "friendly" ystc OG

There's "STRONG", and then there's "RETARD STRONG".
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
tC Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphorian View Post
if you want to reset the ECU take the negative battery terminal off for 15seconds
re-install then drive the car for awhile to see what happens
(you`ll need to reset your windows/moon roof also
Just did that today. Kinda scared the crap out of me after I removed the negative and put it back on because when I went to start the car up afterward the car started but then started to shudder and eventually stalled. After I thought about it I figured it was the computer just trying to re-learn and analyze everything again. With a second attempt at turning the key it started up with no problems and everything was good. Took it for a test drive and everything seemed normal. Thanks for the help!

|2006 NBM tC w/ 5spd transmission|TRD Lowering Springs|HKS Exhaust|Metallic blue Spyder Intake |TRD Front Strut Tie bar |TRD Rear Sway bar|Pioneer Electronics Aftermarket Audio System with Rockford Fosgate 250W sub AMP with Kicker sub and Planet Audio 1600W speaker AMP|7000K HIDs w/Blue tint|Eagle GT 225/45 Tires|

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
tC Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxmichaeldxX View Post
change your oil. in my experience, that has been the major cause of every check engine light ive ever had. ive even had dealerships and aftermarket shops tell me that the check engine light only turns on because of the oil. as for the codes, ive never experienced any of them personally... but check this out.
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)
I appreciate the links but I have to agree with the other guys... it's not an oil issue. Especially with the codes which the computer provided.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 PM

Same thing here i turned on my car this morning to the CEL on....i went to the dealer to get an oil change they said the oil wouldnt cause the CEL to go on...the diagnosis would cost 105...i checked my gas cap it was on pretty loose so i tightened it...but the light is still on...i dnt know what it could be as i just did a smog test about 2 weeks ago and the car passed fine no problems...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
LED Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SquallLHeart

after a lot of wear and tear... even a tightened gas cap can still leak.. which then.. you'll have to replace it...

fyi..

and after you tighten the gas cap and fix the problem, the cel will still stay on until you reset it.. or drive it for a sufficient amount of time for the car to notice the problem is fixed and will turn off on its own (though that does take a while sometimes)

your "friendly" ystc OG

There's "STRONG", and then there's "RETARD STRONG".
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Destroyer of Cones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Lol at the oil causing it. Nothing oil related will set a cel. The maintenance light is only a mileage counter that reminds you when to change it , and it has to be manually reset. If someone told you that needing an oil change turned on the cel, they were laughing thier ass off as you walked away.

To the OP, regarding starting it up and it having to relearn after resetting, you figured that out correctly. The car will many times idle like crap after a reset until you drive it around a bit.

After tightening the cap, it still takes a few drives to make the light go off if you dont manually reset it like you did. If the problem keeps coming back, you either have a bad gas cap or another leak in the evap system.

"I am not flipping you off. I just want to punch you in the face so bad that my fist has a boner"

IIP Scion tC - STF Prepped
2001 Spa Yellow S2000 - STR Prepped

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page