engine check light on - Scion tC Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question

hello guys,

i just brought a 2005 tc like 2 months ago. the engine check lamp was on 1 month after purchase. i took the car to someone who has a diagnostic code reader. i forgot what the diagnostic code manual said, it seemed that the gas was slightly leaking or something. the guy told me that normally, the reason is due to that i did shut down the gas tank cap properly. so we tighten the cap and he helped me to clear the engine check lamp. the car seemed to be ok until recent, the lamp went on again. i have refilled the gas several times and since the car drives just ok, i'm guessing it is again the gas tank cap problem. but i don't have a diagnostic code reader. i'm still a little worrying about the engine.

now i want to buy a code reader. but i don't know which one i should buy. i only need a cheap reader that tells me the code and clears the lamp, and then i can look up the code on the internet. so it needs not to be very expensive. but people say that cheap code readers don't support the new "can protocol". does 2005 tc support this new protocol? i know 2006 tc does, but what about 2005 tc?

do you guys have any recommendation on a cheap code reader? or could you please tell me what my "engine problem" might be?

my gas tank cap is really weird, because no matter how hard you turn clockwise to close it, it is very easy to open it by slightly turning it counterclockwise.

thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Pick your own - you deserve it.

Location: Phoenix, AZ, US, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth
Send a message via AIM to az tc Send a message via MSN to az tc Send a message via Yahoo to az tc

try getting a replacement gas cap.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
AWD V8 KILLER!

Send a message via MSN to AKtC

Was it the CEL or the Maint Req'd light?

Current - 08' Subaru Impreza WRX (371 AWHP @ 15PSI)
TOTALED - The FIRST Release Series 5.0 on this block. Recognize.
"Got Boost?"
R.I.P. George/Suprman, your memories and words will live on forever.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

cheap code reader - scangauge... 150$. with Doc's panel turns into a very neat stationary tool.

My Site - My Facebook
RIP George James aka Suprman 9/20/2011
#5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 AM
tC Freak

Well first i would go to you mechanic and ask him to get you the code again, this way you know exactly what it is and can fix it now before worrying about permanent damage. and then look into a cheap code reader because they are a cool tool to have if you are big DIY person.

On that note, anything with the gas tank and stuff like that the first thing i would check is the gas cap, a cracked gas cap that isn't completely sealing could throw the CEL.

2005 Silver Streak Mica

Current Mods: 6k HID|20% tint|Short Ram Intake|Orange interior LED's|White Parking lights|LED Reverse Bulbs|LED License Plate Bulbs|S2K Atenna|Doc I Shift Knob|Blacked out grille|Smoked Tails|Tinted Third Brake Light|Tinted Side Markers|Greddy SP2 Axle-Back exhaust|APT Fogs with Nokya Hyper Yellow Bulbs|TRD Springs|
<span style="color:#006400">Mods to come: Rims|
#6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
tC Freak

1. Autozone will read the codes for free and give you a printout of what the code means.

2. CEL's are 99.9% of the time something emissions related, there are other lights for engine damage stuff.

#7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 PM
BOOST its what I do!

Send a message via AIM to bluesciontc

There is no Gas cap code on the tC. It might have been an evap purge problem. Check the green cap uder the hood atached to the intake as well as make sure all the vaccum lines are connected.

My Sponsors: Vinny Ten Racing, Dezod Motorsports, Hydra EMS, Bobs Automotive Machine, RC Engineering, CP Pistons, Carrillo, RPS Clutches, JNJ Associates.

WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Z9mryULKI

Built not Bought.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Where is Donnie?

QUOTE (bluesciontc @ Sep 16 2009, 12:10 PM)
Quote:
There is no Gas cap code on the tC. It might have been an evap purge problem. Check the green cap uder the hood atached to the intake as well as make sure all the vaccum lines are connected.[/b]
no code but it will set off the light. had it happen to me before. can't say I felt dumber than when the service guy went "make sure that the cap clicks once or twice when you put it back on"

2011 Subaru STi DD/Track Monster | Cobb Tuning Downpipe | Ark Grip Cat-back Exhaust | OTS Tune
Moroso 2-Stage Catch-cans | Advan RZ 18x9 +45 | Yokohama Advan 265/35/18 | SuperTone! | Tint | White Satin Pearl

2003 Lexus IS300 Sport Design | 5-MT | Thundercloud Metallic

RIP Suprman133 4/26/88 - 9/20/11
#9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 PM
BOOST its what I do!

Send a message via AIM to bluesciontc

Yea its the EVAP code

My Sponsors: Vinny Ten Racing, Dezod Motorsports, Hydra EMS, Bobs Automotive Machine, RC Engineering, CP Pistons, Carrillo, RPS Clutches, JNJ Associates.

WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Z9mryULKI

Built not Bought.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Where is Donnie?

QUOTE (bluesciontc @ Sep 16 2009, 03:07 PM)
Quote:
Yea its the EVAP code [/b]
oh ok regardless it throws a code lol... stupid gas cap

2011 Subaru STi DD/Track Monster | Cobb Tuning Downpipe | Ark Grip Cat-back Exhaust | OTS Tune
Moroso 2-Stage Catch-cans | Advan RZ 18x9 +45 | Yokohama Advan 265/35/18 | SuperTone! | Tint | White Satin Pearl

2003 Lexus IS300 Sport Design | 5-MT | Thundercloud Metallic

RIP Suprman133 4/26/88 - 9/20/11

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page